1 Miller Street

1 Miller Street
West Melbourne VIC 3003
photographer: Sue Scarfe
Also known as Sturgess Terraces (1-11)
Previous Address
Constructed 2/5/1874
Style Victorian, Mid: 1860-1875
Architect
Builder William Sturgess, 20 Milton Street West Melbourne

Timelapse Building Images

1983

1 to 15 Miller Street

photographer, Graeme Butler

Land Details

1. 1895 MMBW Map

2. Compiled Crown Record Plan

3. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article7305206

4. John Austin Keens was a wholesale and retail Ironmonger situated at 161 Elizabeth Street and 209 Swanston Street Melbourne according to the 1861 Sands & McDougall Melbourne Directory, page 231. It is thought he may have been the reason for the naming of Austin Place, the rear lane way. John Austin Keens was born on 20 July 1828 in Manchester, Lancashire, the son of Ann and John. He had one daughter with wife, Agnes in 1860. Agnes Murray Thom was born on 20 August 1837 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, her father, Hugh, was 36, and her mother, Susannah, was 33. She died as a young mother on 4 May 1868 in Melbourne, Victoria, at the age of 30.

Building Details

Notice of intent to build.

Street: Milton-1 (we believe notice should have read: Miller-1)

(there is no such number as 1 Milton Street on the original 1895 MMBW map)

Number: 5867. Date 2/5/1874

Owner & Builder: William Sturgess, 20 Milton Street West Melbourne. (20 Milton St no longer exists)

Fee: 1.15.0

Type: Six room house, with a private back yard garden.

Other significant building works carried out by William Sturgess can be found here.

Burchett Index

Subsequent Building Alterations

Side elevation of 1 Miller Street has been altered, and a garage and high masonry wall added to the Curzon Street frontage.

Architectural Features


  • Doors
    Timber

    Sue Scarfe photographer


  • Building Ornamentation
    Concrete

    Sue Scarfe photographer


  • Windows
    Timber

    Sue Scarfe photographer


  • Fence
    Cast Iron

    Sue Scarfe photographer


  • Hardware
    Other metal

    Sue Scarfe photographer


  • Windows
    Glass

    Sue Scarfe photographer


  • Building Ornamentation
    Cast Iron

    Sue Scarfe photographer


  • Building Ornamentation
    Cast Iron

    Sue Scarfe photographer


  • Building Ornamentation
    Concrete

    Sue Scarfe photographer

Heritage Significance and Listings

Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes

Heritage elements include:

  1. two storey parapeted stuccoed house row;
  2. cemented cornice moulds, rosettes and brackets;
  3. fluted string mould on 1 Miller Street;
  4. originally face brick side and rear walls;
  5. pitched roof behind the parapet, with cemented and corniced and barrel top chimneys;
  6. two storey cast-iron verandah, early bellied cast-iron balustrading (3-9 Miller Street), panelled frieze and brackets also quarry tiled floors;
  7. single level distinctive arcaded verandah in the Italian Renaissance Revival manner (1 Miller Street) set on castiron columns;
  8. double-hung sash windows on 1 Miller street, with cemented architraves and moulded hoods;
  9. double-hung sash windows, with a French door at each upper level (3-9);
  10. four-panel entry door and toplight;
  11. cast-iron palisade front fences, integral with the arcade at 1 Miller Street; and
  12. contribution to valuable Victorian-era streetscape.

How is it significant?
The Sturgess row houses are significant historically and aesthetically to West Melbourne and the City of Melbourne.

Why is it significant?
The Sturgess row houses (1-11) are significant.
1. Historically, as in part the long-term residence of William Sturgess one of West Melbourne most successful developers and representative of a major growth period (Victorian-era) in West Melbourne; and
2. Aesthetically, for the distinctive arcaded end bay to the terrace, and uncommon cast-iron detailing also as contributory to a significant Victorian-era streetscape.

Owners

From To Owner More Info Data Source
1974 to date Private Hatcher Index
1966 1974 Antonio & Concetta Pappalarelo Hatcher Index
1892 1965 Mrs Beatrice Paine nee Sturgess Hatcher Index
1874 1891 William Sturgess Hatcher Index
1858 1873 J.A. Keens (crown land purchaser) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article7305206 Hatcher Index
abt 40 thousand years earlier 1835 Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria Hatcher Index

Residents

From To Resident More Info Data Source
1974 to date Private Hatcher Index
1970 1974 Carmelo Trengali Hatcher Index
1966 1967 Antonio & Concetta Pappalarelo Hatcher Index
1949 1964 Lloyd Walter Robinson Hatcher Index
1936 1948 John & Laura Louise Young Hatcher Index
1934 1935 Miss Sarah A Page Hatcher Index
1931 1933 Joan Williams Hatcher Index
1928 1930 Mrs Ellen Lukins Hatcher Index
1927 1927 Edith Farrow Hatcher Index
1925 1925 Mary & Duncan Moodie Hatcher Index
1923 1924 Alexander Gregory Hatcher Index
1921 1922 Emma Fletcher Hatcher Index
1908 1920 William Leuwin Orr, Madeline Mary Orr nee Laing, Amy, Charles, Ernest Florence & Gertrude Orr Hatcher Index
1896 1907 George, Harriet & Elizabeth Platt Hatcher Index
1892 1894 Mr. Charles Edward Paine and Mrs. Beatrice Paine nee Sturgess https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/ Hatcher Index
1875 1891 William Sturgess and family Hatcher Index
1874 1874 William & Fanny Sturgess nee Watkins Hatcher Index

Social History

1974. J Pappalarelo lived at 1 Miller Street.

Sands & McDougall directory


1965. Lloyd Walter Robinson & Jacqueline Staples Robinson nee Young lived at 1 Miller Street.

Sands & McDougall directory


1940. John & Laura Young lived at 1 Miller Street.

Sands & McDougall directory


1920 William Leuwin Orr & wife Madeline Orr lived at 1 Miller Street.

William Lewin Orr was born in May 1855 in Sea, his father, Hugh, was 43 and his mother, Christina, was 41. He married Madeline Mary Helena Laing in 1876. They had ten children.

ARRIVAL OF THE H. R. N S. N. CO.’S STEAMER ” WILLIAMS.” This vessel, the second of the Hunter River New Steam Company’s steamers, arrived at Morpeth about half-past nine o’clock on Thurs-day morning, and was greeted with loud cheering on her reaching the wharf, a reception she met with, indeed, at every point she touched at in coming up the river. This handsome boat was built by Messrs. Scott and Co., of Greenock, and the machinery and boilers by the well known engineers Messrs. M’Nab and Clarke. She was launched from Messrs. Scott and Co.’s yard, at Cartsdyke, on 21st October, 1854. Her dimensions are the following : extreme length 161 feet, length from inner foot of the main stem to the forepart of the stern post abaft 155 feet, breadth amid-ships 20 8-IO feet, depth amidships 11 feet, register measurement 199 96-100 tons, engine room 44 4-10 feet. She has a round stern, is iron clincher built, with standing bowsprit, and rigged as a three-masted barque; no galleries ; with the ” Emu ” as a figure head. By permission of the custom house authorities she was allowed to be registered at Sydney. On 10th January, 1st, she sailed from Cork, having lain there for six days on account of the head winds in the channel ; having on board as passengers, besides the wife and family of the captain, Mr. J. Moon, the families of the engineer and other officers. She came out with her paddles shipped, but only steamed seven days, and called at no ports during the passage. During the first part of the voyage she had light winds, but on 2nd May, on’ Cape Leuwin, she was caught in a hurricane. During the gale the vessel was very lively, and sustained a very trifling damage ; thus proving her to be a first-rate sea boat, and perfectly able for any storms she may encounter on the coast. In this hurricane the barometer fell lower than the captain had ever witnessed before. During the gale one of the ladies gave birth to a child, who is now stout and healthy. The only vessels spoken with connected with these colonies on the voyage out were-on 3rd March the American ship Eastern State, 38 days out from New York, with emigrants to Melbourne, lat. 22° S., long. 32° 25′ W. ; and on May 12th, the American ship Rio Grande, off Cape Otway, from Melbourne. She arrived at Sydney late on the evening of the 14th instant, having been 125 days on her passage from Cork. On Wednesday evening, at eleven o’clock, without any repairs or cleaning, she sailed again for Morpeth ; she reached Newcastle at six o’clock on Thursday morning, and Morpeth about twenty minutes past nine o’clock. On visiting her, shortly after her arrival, all who saw her were struck with the remarkable cleanliness and comfort of the vessel after so lengthened a passage, showing no difference from the other boats, except the foulness of her bottom and the rubbing off of the paint. Her main cabin forms a beautiful Baloou, measuring 34 feet by 20 feet, and having 24 berths. The sofas are all covered with horse hair, a decided improvement on the fittings of the Hunter, the leather coverings of her sofas already showing marks of discoloration. Connected with the saloon is the gentleman’s dressing room, fitted up with washstands, and every convenience of the toilet. The ladies’ cabin has eight berths, and measures 20 feet by 6£ feet, with similar comforts to that in the gentleman’s cabin. Placed amidships are the Captain’s, chief officer’s, and engineer’s room, and the baker’s shop. The fore cabin has eighteen berths, fitted up plainly but comfortably, and measures 12 feet by 20 feet. The forecastle for the seamen is very comfortable. Her machinery takes up 110 tons, and she has carrying accommodation for about 200 tons of cargo. Her decks are very roomy, and during her voyage out she | showed herself to be a very dry boat, having rarely shipped a sea. She is worked with two oscillating engines, of sixty horse power each, I and has also a donkey engine of two horse power for working the pumps, the fire engine, and for discharging or taking in cargo. We understand she is to leave for Sydney on Wednesday, when she will be placed in the dry dock, Bud cleaned and repainted, previous to her being placed permanently on the line be-tween Morpeth and Sydney.

 

Sands & McDougall directory


William Sturgess, 1891 at Moonee Ponds.
Sturgess, a senior trustee, was a member of the Loyal Alliance Lodge, M.U.I.O.O.F of North Melbourne.

The Age


1875 Sands Directory for Miller Street West Melbourne showing William Sturges (Sturgess) living at house number 1.

William Sturgess was born around 1829 in Cheshire, England, his father, William, was 31 and his mother, Mary, was 32. Wife Fanny Watson was born in 1829 in Manchester, Lancashire.

William Sturgess married Fanny Watson in 1853 at St John’s, Deansgate, Lancashire England. His occupation on the certificate stated he was a bricklayer.

William 23 years and Fanny Sturgess, 22 years of age, arrived in Port Phillip in 1853 onboard the ship Thames departing from Liverpool England. Fanny and William had 9 children.

Sands & McDougall directory



Context and Streetscape

Precinct
The current property resides within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
source: https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/history-city-of-melbourne.pdf
historical map source: https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/search-discover/explore-collections-format/maps/maps-melbourne-city-suburbs

Zoning

The controls listed below affect this property:

Streetscape

This streetscape contains a collection of historic Victorian and Federation buildings. The homes are socially and historically significant buildings for the early development of North & West Melbourne in their own right.

Other Information

Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.

If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email info@hothamhistory.org.au