|Also known as|
|Previous Address||104 was also known as 2 Capel Street, Hotham, it was a substancial early two storey Bluestone terrace home before the current building and street renumbering.||Source: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article6898454|
|Style||Post-War Period : 1940 – 1960|
Timelapse Building Images
Members of the Del Papa and Inglese families in front of 104 Capel Street, North Melbourne.
held by North Melbourne Library Service
104 Capel Street, North Melbourne.
“Vigorous bluestone sharply contrasted with crisp mouldings and quoins in sandstone and the surprising and happy emphasis of the first-floor windows”
source: Early Melbourne Architecture 1840 to 1888 by Geoffrey Cumberlege
source: Early Melbourne Architecture 1840 – 1888 by Geoffrey Cumberlege
- Current map
- 1895 MMBW map
- Compiled Crown Record Plan
- 1859 report of the Government Land Sale
Subsequent Building Alterations
Heritage Significance and Listings
|Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes|
The historic bluestone Victorian era building on this land has been demolished and replaced by a two storey brick warehouse with an upper level residence. Built in the early 1950’s.
|From||To||Owner||More Info||Data Source|
|to date||Private||source: Hatcher Index|
|1859||Messrs. Thomas Glaister, Alexander Stuart & Robert Rutter, first Crown land purchasers||source: Hatcher Index|
|abt 40 thousand years earlier||1835||Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria||source: Hatcher Index|
|From||To||Resident||More Info||Data Source|
|to date||Private||source Hatcher Index|
|1965||1974||G. Sesto||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1940||1960||Mrs. Mary McNeil, apartments||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1930||1935||Roderick McNeil||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1925||1925||Mrs. Eliza Junghenn||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1920||1920||Albert Barnard||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1915||1915||Frederick Robinson||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1910||1910||Mrs. Hannah Doran||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1905||1905||Mrs. Helen Pratt||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1900||1900||Miss. A. Middleton||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1895||1895||Morris Lardelli||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1890||1890||Robert W. Carson||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
1858. TO LET, furnished, BEDROOM, with or without Board.
No. 2 Capel-street, North Melbourne.
[2 Capel Street was later renumbered to 104 Capel Street by Melbourne Council at a later date.]
The Argus 1858
Context and Streetscape
This property resides within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
The controls listed below affect this property:
This information must be verified with the relevant planning or heritage authority.
The streetscape can be characterised as a mix of Victorian and modern buildings. Eight of the original seventeen single-story Victorian terrace dwellings plus some double storey commercial buildings are on its western side, south of Victoria Street, while on the eastern side, the street retains sixteen of its original thirty-six, wider sized early Victorian, two storey terrace homes, as well as two story modern public housing townhouses.
Crossing over Victoria Street to the north on the eastern side, nineteen of the original thirty-two equally fine examples of early two storey Victoria terrace dwellings can be seen, dispersed by a small number of modern two storey buildings. Unfortunately, all twenty-two of the original Victorian terrace dwellings on the western side from Victoria to Queensberry streets have all been demolished, replaced by taller modern commercial buildings that are out of character with the existing surrounding Victorian architecture of this once predominantly single and double storey residential streetscape.
Heritage of note include two 2 storey terraces at 62 and 64, both have National Trust classifications and Heritage Victoria registrations. Two more include two single storey terraces dwellings at 81 and 83 that were designed by the distinguished Australian architect, Mr. George Raymond Johnson.
Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.
If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email email@example.com