|Also known as|
|Style||Victorian, Mid: 1860-1875|
|Architect||William J Ellis|
|Builder||Mr. F. J. Tadgell of 23 Provost Street North Melbourne|
Timelapse Building Images
From 1862 until 1868 one William J. Ellis (perhaps a son) had a successful architectural partnership in Melbourne with J.E. Austin, two of their larger commissions being for the Royal Albert Mechanics Institute and the Post and Telegraph offices in East Collingwood (1866-67).
They mainly built houses, shops and hotels. This Ellis had his own practice from 1868 until the 1880s. His best-known surviving work is the original wing of the Fitzroy Town Hall, a temple form with a Corinthian portico.
Subsequent Building Alterations
Heritage Significance and Listings
|Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes|
|From||To||Owner||More Info||Data Source|
The original 1868 Victorian terrace named Bute-house identified as a brick house of 6 rooms from the council rates book was located at number 107 Hawke Street West Melbourne was first owned by William and Agnes Mather née Tschentscher.
council rates book
Seven years later in the 1876 council rates book shows Bute-house’s new owners were Collier M’Cracken and Margaret M’Cracken née Robinson of M’Cracken’s City Brewery, Melbourne.
VPRS 5708/ volume 15, record 1514
McCracken’s City Brewery founded in 1851 on Collins Street, Melbourne, operated until 1907 when it became part of Carlton & United Breweries.
McCracken’s was the second largest and the oldest of the six independent breweries that formed Carlton & United Breweries.
A laneway named after the brewery still exists in Melbourne CBD today, alongside where the brewery once was.
Later the home was owned by David Herd and Jessie Herd née Birrell.
Melbourne council rate book, 1893, rate number 653, house number 107
Context and Streetscape