|Also known as||Illawarra Terrace||Source: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article8471478|
|Previous Address||122 was also known as 16 Chetwynd Street, Hotham before street renumbering.||Source: source: Sands & McDougall directory|
Timelapse Building Images
Subsequent Building Alterations
Heritage Significance and Listings
|Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes|
|From||To||Owner||More Info||Data Source|
|to date||Private||source: Hatcher Index|
|Mr. John Thomas Smith, first Crown land purchaser||source: Hatcher Index|
|abt 40 thousand years earlier||1835||Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria|
|From||To||Resident||More Info||Data Source|
|to date||Private||source Hatcher Index|
|1960||1974||Mrs. M. A. Quan||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1935||1955||Thomas Quirk||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1925||1930||Miss. N. McGann||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1900||1920||John T. O’Sullivan||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1892||1895||Mrs. Christina Gracie||http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article8471189||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1890||1892||Hugh Gracie J.P. (Hotham Councillor)||https://www.melbournestreets.com.au/gracie-hugh/||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
1892 The Argus.
source: The Argus
Context and Streetscape
This property resides within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
This information must be verified with the relevant planning or heritage authority.
Chetwynd Street was once predominantly a residential street with single and two storey Victorian terrace dwellings, two churches, a school and two hotels known as the Queens Arms and the Star of Hotham.
The Chetwynd streetscape today is characterised by a mix of multi-storey blocks of public flats, some modern commercial/industrial buildings, an ambulance depot, and a school.
In 2021, only fifty of the original one hundred and twenty-nine Victorian heritage dwellings once found on this street remain, compared to the 1895 Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works map.
Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.
If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email firstname.lastname@example.org