|Also known as|
|Previous Address||133 was also known as 27 Capel Street, a Victorian terrace dwelling in Hotham before the current building and street renumbering.||Source: from the 1895 MMBW map|
|Style||Late twentieth century: 1960 – 2000|
Timelapse Building Images
Subsequent Building Alterations
Heritage Significance and Listings
|Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes|
The historic Victorian dwelling on this land was demolished and replaced by a two storey brick, warehouse/showroom. Built around 1980, later refurbished and converted to a place of worship in 2002.
|From||To||Owner||More Info||Data Source|
|to date||Private||source: Hatcher Index|
|Mr. W. Hughes, first Crown land purchaser||source: Hatcher Index|
|abt 40 thousand years earlier||1835||Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria||source: Hatcher Index|
|From||To||Resident||More Info||Data Source|
|to date||Private||source Hatcher Index|
|1965||1974||Melford Mtrs P/L (comrcl divsn)||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1950||1960||Peter Dolheguy||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1945||1945||Mrs. E. E. Young||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1910||1940||William M. Young||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1905||1905||Duncan Bremmer||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1900||1900||James McGrath||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1895||1895||Donald Ross||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1890||1890||Frederick A. Shinneling||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
1892. A POTATO DIGGING MACHINE
source: The Argus 1892
Context and Streetscape
This property resides within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
This information must be verified with the relevant planning or heritage authority.
The streetscape can be characterised as a mix of Victorian and modern buildings. Eight of the original seventeen single-story Victorian terrace dwellings plus some double storey commercial buildings are on its western side, south of Victoria Street, while on the eastern side, the street retains sixteen of its original thirty-six, wider sized early Victorian, two storey terrace homes, as well as two story modern public housing townhouses.
Crossing over Victoria Street to the north on the eastern side, nineteen of the original thirty-two equally fine examples of early two storey Victoria terrace dwellings can be seen, dispersed by a small number of modern two storey buildings. Unfortunately, all twenty-two of the original Victorian terrace dwellings on the western side from Victoria to Queensberry streets have all been demolished, replaced by taller modern commercial buildings that are out of character with the existing surrounding Victorian architecture of this once predominantly single and double storey residential streetscape.
Heritage of note include two 2 storey terraces at 62 and 64, both have National Trust classifications and Heritage Victoria registrations. Two more include two single storey terraces dwellings at 81 and 83 that were designed by the distinguished Australian architect, Mr. George Raymond Johnson.
Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.
If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email email@example.com