135 Miller Street

135 Miller Street
West Melbourne VIC 3003
photographer: Stephen Hatcher 2022

Also known as
Previous Address
Constructed (1st) 1860s. (2nd) demolished after 1965
Style Victorian, Mid: 1860-1875
Architect
Builder

Timelapse Building Images

circa 1900

Doyle's greengrocer shop, Miller Street, West Melbourne.

135 Miller Street on the western side of the Street and located on the corner of Dryburgh Street. 
You can also see a tiny part of house number 137 Miller Street next door.
In the building you can see the patterned wall paper in the hall and the fruit display and advertising in the front window. 
Some of the advertising is for ale and stout.

http://www.picturevictoria.vic.gov.au/site/melbourne/NorthMelbourne/19057.html


Land Details

1. 1895 MMBW map

Building Details

No Entries Found

Subsequent Building Alterations

No Entries Found

Architectural Features



    No Entries Found


Heritage Significance and Listings

Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes

The historic building that once existed on this land was demolished after 1965.

Owners

From To Owner More Info Data Source
to date Private source: Hatcher Index
Mr. F. Young, first Crown land purchaser source: Hatcher Index
abt 40 thousand years earlier 1835 Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria source: Hatcher Index

Residents

From To Resident More Info Data Source
to date Private source Hatcher Index
1965 1965 G. Wilson source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1955 1960 J. R. Campbell source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1945 1950 Leo J. McNamara source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1940 1940 Mrs. D. Rainsford source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1935 1935 George P. Scott source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1925 1930 Richard G. Beer source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1920 1920 Andrew New source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1915 1915 James R. Thompson source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1910 1910 Mrs. M. McCarthy, confr http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article199455321 source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1905 1905 J. L. L. White, confr source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1900 1900 John Doyle, grngrcr source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1895 1895 William Costello source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1884 1890 Patrick McCarthy, grocer source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1883 1883 John Doyle source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1881 1882 Robert West source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1868 1880 Francis Young source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1867 1867 James West source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.

Social History



Context and Streetscape

Precinct

This property sits within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
source: https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/history-city-of-melbourne.pdf
historical map source: https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/search-discover/explore-collections-format/maps/maps-melbourne-city-suburbs

Streetscape

The first building to face Miller Street, West Melbourne in 1851 was the Benevolent Asylum running from Curzon to Abbotsford Streets on its northern side. The southern side of the street contained predominantly single and double storey Victorian era residential dwellings, a milk bar/confectioner shop near the corner of Abbotsford as well as some green grocers and a bakery on the northern side between Abbotsford and Stawell Streets.

Further west was once the famous Brockoff biscuit factory which later merged with Arnott’s in 1963, the factory has been converted into flats.

After the demolition of the Asylum, all that piece of the Crown land grant was subdivided up into smaller house blocks and sold off for development which helps to explain why the street has Victoria architecture on one side and Edwardian architecture on the other.

Its historic dwellings have not all been immune from destruction, loosing eight Victorian dwellings and shops as well as the stone Methodist Church building on the southern corner of Miller and Spence Street. They have been replaced by commercial buildings from around 1950’s.

Thankfully the Methodist minister’s manse which can be seen facing onto Spencer at number 660 has survived the wrecking ball. Built by brothers James, John and Alfred Thurgood who also built sheds A-E at the Queen Victoria Market as well as a long list of other desirable buildings around Melbourne.

Miller streetscape today is characterised by a generous number of surviving heritage dwellings, with an addition of some commercial buildings at the western end.

There is a huge push by the local and State Government to increase the density of residents living in West Melbourne. Existing residents already in the area would do well to keep their eyes open for any new multi-storey development proposals slated for this street that may undermine the historic nature and charm of this very early historic residential area.

In some cases, unrestricted increases in density and taller building heights than heights of the existing streetscape can be detrimental to current residents’ enjoyment of amenity and quality of life.

Other Information

Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.

If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email info@hothamhistory.org.au