|Also known as||The Ayrshire Hotel  1853-1869, renamed The Clare Castle 1870-1872, renamed The Ayrshire 1873-1876, renamed Rock of Cashel 1876-1884, renamed Queens Arms Hotel 1884-1904|
|Previous Address||158 was also known as 48 and 50 Chetwynd Street, Hotham before street renumbering.||Source: from the 1895 MMBW map|
Timelapse Building Images
- Number 22 on the Historic Pubs of North Melbourne map
- 1895 MMBW map
- Compiled Crown Record Plan
Subsequent Building Alterations
Heritage Significance and Listings
|Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes|
The Victorian era heritage hotel that once existed on this site was demolished after 1955 and replaced by a five storey concrete and brick telephone and communications exchange. Built in 1960.
|From||To||Owner||More Info||Data Source|
|to date||Private||source: Hatcher Index|
|Mr. Hugh Glass, first Crown land purchaser||https://www.melbournestreets.com.au/glass-hugh/||source: Hatcher Index|
|Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria||source: Hatcher Index|
|From||To||Resident||More Info||Data Source|
|to date||North Melbourne Telephone Exchange||source Hatcher Index|
|1940||1955||Mrs. Evelyn Barry (156)||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1935||1935||James F. Cowie and Mrs. Cowie (156)||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1930||1930||Italians (158)||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1925||1925||Mrs. Jessie Coates (48 and 50)||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1910||1920||Mrs. A. M. Lysart (48 and 50)||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1900||1905||James Moran – Queen’s Arms Hotel||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1897||Ellen Bannon – Queen’s Arms Hotel||http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article9774675||source: The Argus|
|1890||1895||Mrs. Mary Smith – Queen’s Arms Hotel||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
1897 The Argus.
source” The Argus
50 Chetwynd Street
The Ayrshire Hotel  1853-1869, renamed The Clare Castle 1870-1872, renamed The Ayrshire 1873-1876, renamed Rock of Cashel 1876-1884, renamed Queens Arms Hotel 1884-1904 and later demolished.
The first name.
Note that the lane running parallel to Chetwynd off Gardiner is still shown as Ayrshire Lane. This was the site of The Ayrshire Hotel, established in 1853, and one of the early hotels for new arrivals in the colony. In its early days, the Ayrshire seems to have attracted Scots among its patrons. The town of Ayr is on the Firth of Clyde in western Scotland.
The Scots connection
In September 1854, a young Scot wrote home to his father:
We went to the Ayrshire Hotel Chetwynd Street where we got one bed and that not very big and far from clean. However we managed to huddle together with the help of fleas whose name was legion) till the morning, when we got a cup of coffee, slice of bread and a bit of mutton, for which we only paid ten shillings well!
On 29th September 1854, those interested in setting up a Presbyterian Church in North Melbourne met at The Ayrshire. The Presbyterian Church followed the ideas of the reformer Calvin and was strong in Scotland. On this occasion, the meeting room at The Ayrshire was packed with an interesting cross section of the community. Subsequently land was set aside and a notable Presbyterian Church, which continues today as a Uniting Church was built in Curzon Street.
Historic Pubs of North Melbourne by Hotham History Project.
Context and Streetscape
This property resides within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
This information must be verified with the relevant planning or heritage authority.
Chetwynd Street was once predominantly a residential street with single and two storey Victorian terrace dwellings, two churches, a school and two hotels known as the Queens Arms and the Star of Hotham.
The Chetwynd streetscape today is characterised by a mix of multi-storey blocks of public flats, some modern commercial/industrial buildings, an ambulance depot, and a school.
In 2021, only fifty of the original one hundred and twenty-nine Victorian heritage dwellings once found on this street remain, compared to the 1895 Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works map.
Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.
If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email firstname.lastname@example.org