16 Wood Street

16 Wood Street
Also known as
Previous Address Source: Photo: Melbourne Council photo archives
Constructed
Style
Architect
Builder

Timelapse Building Images

1960

Wood Street around 1960 after demolition of south side for new apartments

Supplied by Rob Oke

1960

Detail of above 1960 photo – note palm tree in No 26 Wood Street

Supplied by Rob Oke

1970

Erin Terrace across Donovans Lane from Erin House 16 Wood Street

Supplied by Rob Oke

1970

16 Wood Street

Supplied by Rob Oke

1976

Street party in Wood Street

Supplied by Rob Oke

2010

16 Wood Street – note height of palm

Supplied by Rob Oke

2019

!6 Wood Street – note height of palm

Supplied by Rob Oke

2019

16 Wood Street – sketch by Angela Williams

Supplied by Rob Oke

Land Details

Detail for Wood Street from MMBW 1897 Melbourne Map supplied by Rob Oke. Note the separate titled land at the rear of 16 and 18 Wood street which had a two storey horse stable covering the whole land.

Building Details

Subsequent Building Alterations

Architectural Features


Heritage Significance and Listings

Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes

Owners

From To Owner More Info Data Source
1918 Anne Donovan Melbourne Council Rates Book 1918
1866 William Donovan Melbourne rate books 1866-67 onwards.

Residents

From To Resident More Info Data Source

Social History

The first reference to the Wood Street land subsequently to be No 16 is in the 1867-68 rate book of the Melbourne council. William Donovan is listed as the owner and occupier of a two room wooden house and joins Anne Murphy as the second resident of the newly gazetted street. Donovan is listed as a Labourer, however in the 1868-69 and subsequent rate books he is described as a Carrier. The stable behind the property and also the property to become 18 Wood Street is mentioned as being part of the property and has probably always been owned by whoever owns 16 Wood Street. This stable, which is accessed by the lane next to 16 Wood Street which is now known as Donovans Lane, in due course became a two story horse stable. It burnt down around 1960 when derilict and reportedly used homeless people for shelter.


Eliza McCarthy

Argus, Feb 3rd 1908 page 1


Property owner name: Anne Donovan, name of occupier: George D McCarthy

Melbourne council rates book, VPRS 5708, 1918 Hopetoun Ward rate nos. 2900


William Donovan

Herald, Jun 14th 1897 page 2


William Donovan

North Melbourne Courier, May 27th 1898, page 2


Anne Donovan

Melbourne Advocate. Oct 11th 1923 page 17



Context and Streetscape

Precinct

Zoning

GRZ2 (General Residential Zone 2)
DDO66 (DDO66 Hospital Helicopter Flight Path Outer Area)
HO3 (North & West Melbourne Precinct)

Streetscape

Other Information

The first reference to the Wood Street land subsequently to be No 16 is in the 1867-68 rate book of the Melbourne council. William Donovan is listed as the owner and occupier of a two room wooden house and joins Anne Murphy as the second resident of the newly gazetted street. Donovan is listed as a Labourer, however in the 1868-69 and subsequent rate books he is described as a Carrier. The stable behind the property and also the property to become 18 Wood Street is mentioned as being part of the property and has probably always been owned by whoever owns 16 Wood Street. This stable, which is accessed by the lane next to 16 Wood Street which is now known as Donovans Lane, in due course became a two story horse stable. It burnt down around 1960 when derilict and reportedly used homeless people for shelter.