|Also known as||Lourdes House||Source: name taken from the original 2004 house photo|
|Previous Address||Once known as 89, then 93 Stanley before street renumbering||Source: source: Sands & McDougall directory|
|Style||Victorian, Late: 1875-1901|
|Builder||James Wilson of 10 Richardson Street, Carlton|
Timelapse Building Images
image source: i-heritage, City of Melbourne
source: Melbourne Council Amendment C258, West Melbourne Heritage Review
187 to 195 Stanley Street, West Melbourne in 1983.
source: North Melbourne Library, photographer Graeme Butler
- current map
- 1895 MMBW map
- Compiled Crown Record Plan
- 1865 Crown Land Sale showing Mr. J. McDonald was the first crown land purchaser.
The first home recorded in council rate records in 1868, lists a wooden shanty and shed on this site, owned and occupied by Mrs. Smith.
In 1903 Mrs. Hannah Smith engaged builder James Wilson to rebuild a new family home on this site of brick and bluestone.
source: Burchett Index
Subsequent Building Alterations
Street: 187 Stanley Street, West Melbourne.
Registration Number: 8955
Owner: Mrs. Hannah Smith
Builder: Mr. James Wilson, 10 Richardson Street, Carlton
Fee: £ 1.15.0
Type: Two storey house, [with its own large private back yard garden]
Other significant building works created by James Wilson can be found below.
|Architects||Owner||Suburb||Building Type||Builder||Build Date||Registration number|
|Wilson, James – carpenter||Little Bourke lane off Little Bourke Street Melbourne||Factories||Wilson, James||1851 03 12||175|
|Wilson, James||Latrobe east – near Golden Age Hotel Melbourne||Houses||Wilson, James||1858 02 13||134|
|Bolwell, G E||Station – nth of Newry Carlton||Houses||Wilson, James – Alexandra Pde – Fitzroy||1883 11 16||586|
|Willis, W||Little Lonsdale Street Melbourne||Houses||Wilson, James – Alexandra Pde, Nth Fitzroy||1884 03 26||791|
|Ravenscroft, G||Independent Order of Oddfellows||Victoria Street – opp. Trades Hall Melbourne||Halls||Wilson, James & Watson, – Alexdra Pde Fitzroy||1885 11 6||1833|
|Smith, H||187 Stanley Street West Melbourne||Houses||Wilson, James – 10 Richardson St Carlton||1903 03 21||8955|
|Gibbs & Finlay||Oddy, E||146 Lygon Street Carlton||Shops||Wilson, James – 10 Richardson St||1905 07 1||9662|
|Adams, Wm & Co||Dudley Street West Melbourne||Warehouses||Wilson, James – 341 Victoria St West Melb||1908 01 18||710|
|Jackson, Maria||282 Station Street Carlton||Houses||Wilson, James – 10 Richardson St Carlton||1909 10 9||1608|
|Watts, T & Son||Baxter, James||Rathdown Street Carlton||Houses||Wilson, James – 10 Richardson St||1910 10 25||2263|
|Wilson, John||Brighton Road||Stables||Wilson, James||1910 11 25|
source: Burchett Index
The double storey Victorian-era heritage home was demolished by a developer seeking to construct a high density multi-storey block of flats.
It was was demolished without prior public notice to the surrounding local community.
How can a heritage graded building under the Melbourne Planning Scheme be demolished without a proper planning permit from the City of Melbourne?
Timeline (developed mainly from feedback from the City of Melbourne Planning Department.)
- 1985 Building included in Heritage Places Inventory.
- Late 2011 the application façade was to be retained.
- March 2012 Permit issued – five-storey development behind retained façade.
- July 2012 Amended, façade retained.
- July 2013 Amended, façade retained.
- January 2014 Applicants requested removal of Condition 4 which required an engineering plan to be submitted to Council on how the face was to be supported during excavation. Applicants wanted to rebuild the façade wall not to the original specification and this was (correctly in our view) opposed by the Council’s Heritage Advisor. Council Officers advised that there would be a preference for the building to be removed.
- Application placed on hold until applicants decided how they wished to proceed.
- December 2013 – February 2014 Agreement was granted – not clear by whom – for full demolition as there was no Heritage Overlay applying to the property requiring a Planning Permit.
- May 2015 Applicants met with Council Officers – discussed new design and full demolition, which appear to have been endorsed by Council later in the month.
- 31 July 2015 After questions of completed demolition were raised by locals, Council Officer contacted applicant who advised that revised plan will be submitted within the next two weeks.
Revised scheme will be advertised and made available for public comment.
The community were not aware that a structure outside the area covered by a Heritage Overlay could be demolished without a permit. We are, in fact, alarmed that this is the case. We are further alarmed that this development is to be readvertised but only after the heritage house has been demolished. How are we to argue for the protection of heritage, after the house is gone? The horse has bolted.
Why is a permit issued by a private building consultant allowed to permit the demolition of such a graded two-storey house?
What we find even more disturbing is that the demolition appears to have been authorised by a private Building Surveyor with a notice to this effect attached to the fence on the site. Is there some collusion between the Council and private surveyors to approve demolitions when they secretly agree that such a course of action is desirable from their point of view, or do such surveyors think they have the power to approve such actions in their own right? Where is the public transparency in either of these possibilities?
How was this house not covered by a Heritage Overlay?
Why? Was it a mistake? Was it carelessness? Was it incompetence? We do not know. All we know is that an impressive two-storey façade of a graded house has been lost in what we regard as unacceptable circumstances totally lacking in any public transparency and failing completely to respect the “heritage policies” of the City of Melbourne.
This section of Stanley Street represents one of the few areas in the former industrial areas of West Melbourne where a reasonably-sized streetscape has survived the industrial onslaught intact. It represents, like no other area, the working class origins of the suburb. This demolished house and the two remaining next to it, illustrate the mix of more affluent structures amid working class houses that once were widely dispersed throughout the suburb, covering the area from Festival Hall to the City to the Victoria Market and up to the Errol Street shopping centre. The loss of this house diminishes what is left to show future generations what the Victorian form of West Melbourne was once like.
image source: Google maps.
source: City of Melbourne and Mr. Bill Cook
Heritage Significance and Listings
|Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes|
What is significant?
Builder, James Wilson of 10 Richardson Street, Carlton, erected this house for dairy keeper Hannah Smith, in 1903.
The name Lourdes derives from the French town where in 1858 the Marian apparitions were seen by the peasant girl Bernadette Soubirous who was later canonized. `Lourdes water’ is water which flowed from a spring in the Grotto of Massabielle in the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes, France. The location of the spring was described to Bernadette by the apparition
Contributory elements include:
Integrity is good despite missing urns and friezes.
How is it significant?
Lourdes, Hannah Smith’s house and dairy is significant historically and aesthetically to West Melbourne.
Why is it significant?
Lourdes, Hannah Smith’s house and dairy is significant.
Source: 2015 West Melbourne Heritage Review by Graeme Butler, page 1617.
|From||To||Owner||More Info||Data Source|
|to date||Private||source: Hatcher Index|
|1868||1919||Mrs. Hannah Smith||source: Hatcher Index|
|1865||1868||Mr. J. McDonald||source: Hatcher Index|
|abt 40 thousand years earlier||1835||Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria||source: Hatcher Index|
|From||To||Resident||More Info||Data Source|
|to date||Private||source Hatcher Index|
|1964||1974||James Nolan Turner (son)||source: Hatcher Index|
|1940||1964||Mrs. Margaret Turner||source: Hatcher Index|
|1940||1944||James R. Turner & Mrs. Margaret Turner nee Nolan||source: Hatcher Index|
|1920||1938||John James Thomas Kinsella (son)||source: Hatcher Index|
|1913||1919||Mrs. Mary Kinsella||source: Hatcher Index|
|1913||1916||Mrs. Hannah Smith (dairy) with Mrs. Mary Kinsella nee Smith)||source: Hatcher Index|
|1868||1919||Mrs. Hannah Smith nee Ryan (dairy)||source: Hatcher Index|
Woman milking a cow, 1900 and 1910.
source: The Age
Context and Streetscape
This property resides within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
This information must be verified with the relevant planning or heritage authority.
Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.
If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email email@example.com