193 Hawke Street

193 Hawke Street
West Melbourne VIC 3003
photographer: Stephen Hatcher

Also known as
Previous Address
Constructed 25/4/1871
Style Victorian, Mid: 1860-1875
Architect
Builder Alexander Oliver

Timelapse Building Images

2004

source: http://maps.melbourne.vic.gov.au/


Land Details

  1. 1895 MMBW map
  2. Compiled Crown Record Plan showing Mr. M. Barry was the first land purchaser of lots 9 and 10 of section 94 in West Melbourne.

Building Details

Notice of intent to build.

Street: Hawke Street

Number: 4388.

Date: 25/4/1871

Owner: Mr. Saddler

Builder: Alexander Oliver

Fee: £ 4.0.0

Type: Two cottages [both with private back yard gardens]

Burchett Index


Subsequent Building Alterations

No Entries Found

Architectural Features




  • Steps
    Bluestone

    photographer Stephen Hatcher


  • Gate
    Cast Iron

    photographer Stephen Hatcher


  • Doors
    Timber

    photographer Stephen Hatcher


  • Fence
    Cast Iron

    photographer Stephen Hatcher


  • Windows
    Glass

    photographer Stephen Hatcher



Heritage Significance and Listings

Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes

Owners

From To Owner More Info Data Source
to date Private source: Hatcher Index
Mr. M. Barry, first Crown land purchaser source: Hatcher Index
abt 40 thousand years earlier 1835 Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria source: Hatcher Index

Residents

From To Resident More Info Data Source
to date Private source: Hatcher Index
1974 1974 R. Gatt source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1970 1970 S. Borg source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1960 1965 V. Schembri source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1955 1955 Russel Constable source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1950 1950 Walter Donahoo source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1945 1945 Mrs. Jane Ann ‘Jean’ Evans and John Redmore Evans http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article206859401 source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1940 1940 B. M. Lennard source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1935 1935 Henry Robinson source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1925 1930 Daniel O’Keefe source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1915 1920 John G. Watson source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1910 1910 George Peake source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1899 1905 Mrs. Elizabeth Mary Grace Steel, nee Francis and John Goforth Steel, plumber http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article223173031 source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1895 1895 Richard Denton source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1890 1890 Henry Webb http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article101861699 source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.

Social History



Context and Streetscape

Precinct

This property is located within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
source: https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/history-city-of-melbourne.pdf
historical map source: https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/search-discover/explore-collections-format/maps/maps-melbourne-city-suburbs

Zoning
This information must be verified with the relevant planning or heritage authority.

Streetscape

Hawke Street and the surrounding streetscapes in part, were indirectly influenced by news about the discovery of Gold by Dunlop and Regan in Victoria at Poverty Point, Ballarat in 1851. News of that find led to a great influx of migrants arriving in old Melbourne, seeking fortune and a better life, but housing in old Melbourne was in short supply. The sheer volume of arrivals led to pressure on authorities to expand the size of the colonial settlement, described by Albert Mattingley in his recollections of The Early History of North Melbourne, in 1916.

In 1852, government surveyor Charles Laing’s ‘Plan of the City of Melbourne and its Extension Northwards’ helped alleviate dramatically the pressure for more housing.

Vacant building allotments were pegged, surveyed, and allocated for sale towards the north, on La-Trobe, Adderley, Jeffcott, Spencer, Batman, King, Dudley, Rosslyn, Stanley, Roden and Hawke Street. Blocks of land were auctioned, with Hawke Street land first offered for sale in May, 1853.

By October 1853, W.M. Tennent wrote in the Argus newspaper:

 “Hawke Street is most desirably situated, is in a most healthy and elevated position and commands extensive views of the shipping in the bay and of all surrounding districts”

The race to be the first to have an influence on Hawke streetscape was won in July 1853 by Scotsman, Colin Campbell, who created two stone and brick rendered dwellings and a timber workshop at 19, 21 and 23 Hawke. He was quickly followed a week later by Thomas Stevens who built four wooden cottages on the corner of Hawke and King Streets. Steven’s wooden dwellings were later replaced in 1920 by S. J. Marshall’s architect- designed pharmaceutical laboratory while Campbell’s buildings were demolished in 1972 when the three-storey red brick Miami hotel was created in their place.

In the 1890s, the Hawke residential streetscape began to slowly change with the introduction of industry. The largest of the early industrial buildings that had moved out of Melbourne’s CBD, made its new home on the corner of Hawke and Adderley Streets.  It was designed by architects Oakden, Addison & Kemp and built in 1889 by John Dunton for Brisco & Co. who were cast iron merchants of Elizabeth Street Melbourne.

At the most southern end, an 1868 resident and engineer, Gideon James, and his wife Catherine, once lived at 207 Hawke while Gideon operated the Avon Tool Works business located next door at 199 Hawke until 1909. Their double- fronted Victorian home and garden and nearby workshop both were demolished in the 1920s and replaced by a two-storey red brick industrial building that has since been converted into 12 townhouses.

The southern end of the Hawke streetscape in the late 1860s was also home to a handful of important greengrocer and butcher shops. Among their owners were names such as James Ibbetson, William Wood, and Mrs. Mary Ann Smith.

In 1881, the streetscape continued to change with the arrival of Miss. J. Hutchinson’s mantle & underclothing factory at 96 Hawke, and Francis Gillman, who lived and operated a boot factory at 62 Hawke. The streetscape continued evolving when both Victorian period homes and workshops were demolished and replaced Number 96 is now a park and number 62 is a modern red and cream brick construction built in the 1980s.

Following World War Two, the Hawke streetscape received a rush of extra industrial buildings, from the Spencer Street corner southwards. These factories made all manner of items from electric batteries to spark plugs and baby carriages, marketed nationwide.

In 1895, the street contained 89 Victorian era dwellings. Seven Federation dwellings followed soon after. As of 2022, Hawke Street has lost 43 heritage dwellings, removed from its streetscape forever.

Without stronger heritage protection laws, by the year 2150, the number of heritage dwellings in this streetscape potentially could face total obliteration.

The remaining historic dwellings on Hawke Street are important to the area because they are socially and historically significant buildings that retain private back yard gardens and they relate directly to the early development of West Melbourne.

The Hawke streetscape today contains a collection of outstanding Victorian and Federation dwellings, which are a particularly well-preserved group from important architectural periods in time. These dwellings are interspersed by some industrial buildings, with two early hotels predominantly on the southern side south of the Hawke and Spencer Street intersection.

The North and West Melbourne Precinct is of historical, social, and aesthetic/architectural significance to the local residents and to the City of Melbourne. It is of historical significance, as a predominantly Victorian-era precinct associated with the nineteenth century growth of Melbourne to its north and west.

The residents living in the heritage dwellings along the streetscape are impacted by a push to increase residential density through conversions of the two to three storey red brick industrial buildings into six to eight story blocks of flats, blocks that offer little or no onsite car parking or onsite garden space.

It is imperative existing heritage regulations within the wider built environment be strengthened and laws be strictly followed. All development that occurs in future on Hawke Street ought to be architecturally respectful of the existing style, low scale heights and the hand-crafted materials utilised in keeping with the historic style.

Some might say the residents of Hawke Street and the surrounding streets of greater Melbourne owe a debt of gratitude to the wise Victorian settlers who created the beautiful terrace homes found along these streetscapes of today.

Other Information

[93]

Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.

If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email info@hothamhistory.org.au