|Also known as|
|Style||Victorian : 1840-1890|
Timelapse Building Images
Signed and dated in image l.l.: A.C. COOKE DEL 1882
Printed below image l.r.: Sands and McDougall, Printers, Melbourne.
Title printed below image l.c.
Printed below image l.l.: Supplement to “The Illustrated Melbourne News”, April, 1882.
Published in: The Illustrated Melbourne News, April 1882.
section of original image, source: State Library of Victoria
- Current map
- 1895 MMBW map
- Compiled Crown Record Plan showing Mr. John Freer was the first Crown land purchaser of 4 land allotments in 1850
- 1859 Government land sale notice
Subsequent Building Alterations
Heritage Significance and Listings
|Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes|
|From||To||Owner||More Info||Data Source|
|to date||Private||source: Hatcher Index|
|1859||Mr. James Simpson, first Crown land purchaser||source: Hatcher Index|
|abt 40 thousand years earlier||1835||Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria||source: Hatcher Index|
|From||To||Resident||More Info||Data Source|
|to date||Private||source Hatcher Index|
|1974||1974||Miss. B. Noack||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1970||1970||Mrs. E. Wyllie||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1965||1965||P. Finbar||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1915||1960||Miss. Katherine Boland||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1905||1910||Mrs. Mary Young||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1900||1900||John Paterson||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1895||1895||James Paterson||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
|1890||1890||Patrick F. McKnight||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Anne Cronin in 2020.|
Context and Streetscape
This property resides within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
The controls listed below affect this property:
This information must be verified with the relevant planning or heritage authority.
The streetscape can be characterised as a mix of Victorian and modern buildings. Eight of the original seventeen single-story Victorian terrace dwellings plus some double storey commercial buildings are on its western side, south of Victoria Street, while on the eastern side, the street retains sixteen of its original thirty-six, wider sized early Victorian, two storey terrace homes, as well as two story modern public housing townhouses.
Crossing over Victoria Street to the north on the eastern side, nineteen of the original thirty-two equally fine examples of early two storey Victoria terrace dwellings can be seen, dispersed by a small number of modern two storey buildings. Unfortunately, all twenty-two of the original Victorian terrace dwellings on the western side from Victoria to Queensberry streets have all been demolished, replaced by taller modern commercial buildings that are out of character with the existing surrounding Victorian architecture of this once predominantly single and double storey residential streetscape.
Heritage of note include two 2 storey terraces at 62 and 64, both have National Trust classifications and Heritage Victoria registrations. Two more include two single storey terraces dwellings at 81 and 83 that were designed by the distinguished Australian architect, Mr. George Raymond Johnson.
Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.
If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email email@example.com