242 Chetwynd Street

242 Chetwynd Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
photographer: Stephen Hatcher 2021

Also known as
Previous Address 242 was also known as 126 and 80 Chetwynd Street, Hotham before street renumbering. Source: source: Sands & McDougall directory
Constructed
Style
Architect
Builder

Timelapse Building Images

No Entries Found

Land Details

  1. 1895 MMBW map
  2. Compiled Crown Record Plan
  3. 1865 The Argus, Crown land sale

Building Details

No Entries Found

Subsequent Building Alterations

No Entries Found

Architectural Features



    No Entries Found


Heritage Significance and Listings

Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes

The original Victorian era family dwelling that once existed on this site was demolished and is vacant land.

Owners

From To Owner More Info Data Source
to date Private source: Hatcher Index
1865 Mr. John Huggins, first Crown land purchaser source: Hatcher Index
abt 40 thousand years earlier 1835 Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria source: Hatcher Index

Residents

From To Resident More Info Data Source
to date Private source Hatcher Index
1974 1974 A. Papalia source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1970 1970 A. Chiriano source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1960 1960 F. Papa-Lea source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1955 1955 J. J. Visser (carpenter) source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1950 1950 Walter J. Cameron source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1940 1945 Percy A. Young source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1935 1935 William Pritchatt source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1930 1930 John Taylor source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1925 1925 Patrick Pierce source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1920 1920 Llewellyn Young source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1910 1915 Ephraim Delaney source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1905 1905 George William Gregory and Mrs. Annie Louisa Gregory, nee Scates http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article196157016 source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1900 1900 Edward Franklin source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1895 1895 Henry Thomas source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1883 1890 Mrs. Mary Wylie source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1869 1883 John Wylie (nightman) and Mrs. Mary Wylie, nee McGowen http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article8517620 source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.

Social History

1908 North Melbourne Courier.
BENEFIT CONCERT.
On Monday evening a benefit concert was held in the North Melbourne town hall, in aid of the widow of the late Mr. Henry Thomas and her six children. Cr. Clement Davidson presided, and there was a large audience present, and we are glad to say that the effort promises to turn out a financial success. The programme was opened with an overture by Helm’s orchestra,
followed by a song from Miss M. Slater, and a humorous recitation from Miss Stewart. Mons. Le Coiffic was heard to great advantage in the songĀ  “Take a pair of sparkling eyes,” and his voice is a highly cultivated one, and he knows how to use it. Master Powell sang an illustrated, song, after which Miss Violet Felvey appeared in a song and dance. Mr. G. Deal gave a comic song, and the next number was a humorous recitation by the evergreen Mr Will Elder, which it is unnecessary to say, fairly brought down the house. Messrs. Ryan and Conway gave some interesting displays in connection with the horizontal bar and rings, but the former suddenly broke, and it is a matter of congratulation that a casualty has not to be chronicled. Mr. T. Sutherland sang a song (illustrated), and the first part of the programme was brought to a close by Mr. W. Martin singing “Sister,” and then some really splendid bioscopic pictures by Sculthorpe. Helm’s orchestra opened the second part of with an overture, followed by a performance by Will Carlisle, the expert trapeze and iron-jawed marvel. Mons. Le Coiffic then sang “An evening song” in first class style–was listened to with
pleasure. Miss Ruby Raymond gave a song and dance. Mr. Methwin sang “When Sweet Marie was sweet sisteen.” Miss Ruby Williamson sang a descriptive illustrated song entitled “Moonlight on the Silvery Rio Grande,” which in the opinion of many was the gem of the evening. Gay Bros followed in their
amusing comedy numbers, after which Miss L. Brady sang. Mr. H. Dyer rendered “Long live the King,” and was in good form, after which Mr. Laurence Castles sang “Love me and
the world is mine.” Views followed by Sculthorpe’s bioscope, and it should be mentioned that the pictures were remarkably good, and one of the features of the evening, and their display was heartily appreciated. At the conclusion of the programme, three hearty cheers were given by the audience for all who had
contributed to it, and made the gathering such a success. Among the performers calling for special mention may be
enumerated Messrs. Methwin, Deal, Sutherland, Ryan and Conway, Will Elder, Will Carlisle, Gay Brothers, H. Dyer, Mons. Lonis E. Coiffc, Master Powell, and Misses M. Slater, Stewart,
Williamson, Violet Felvey, and Poppy Atkins (pianiste). Vote of thanks were tendered to Messrs. Syd. Knowles, business manager; Mr. J. Lawson, stage manager; and also to the committee, for the work they had done in connection
with the concert. The refreshments for performers and
committee were attended to by Mesdames McDonald and Murphy.

source: North Melbourne Courier



Context and Streetscape

Precinct

This land is within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
source: https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/history-city-of-melbourne.pdf
historical map source: https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/search-discover/explore-collections-format/maps/maps-melbourne-city-suburbs

Zoning
This information must be verified with the relevant planning or heritage authority.

Streetscape

Chetwynd Street was once predominantly a residential street with single and two storey Victorian terrace dwellings, two churches, a school and two hotels known as the Queens Arms and the Star of Hotham.

The Chetwynd streetscape today is characterised by a mix of multi-storey blocks of public flats, some modern commercial/industrial buildings, an ambulance depot, and a school.

In 2021, only fifty of the original one hundred and twenty-nine Victorian heritage dwellings once found on this street remain, compared to the 1895 Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works map.

Other Information

Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.

If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email info@hothamhistory.org.au