56 Courtney Street

56 Courtney Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
photographer: Felicity Jack
Also known as The Edinburgh Castle [30] 1853. Now know as The Castle Hotel
Previous Address
Constructed
Style
Architect
Builder

Timelapse Building Images

1964

Corner [of] Courtney Street NE [and] Wreckyn Street NW, North Melbourne, [Vic.] [picture] / K. J. Halla.
Looking across intersection towards the Edinburgh Castle Hotel on corner, double storey building with pediment adjoining on left, roundabout in intersection on left.
Use of this work allowed provided the creator and SLV acknowledged. Accession no: H36133/335

http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/47671

K. J Halla photographer held by State Library of Victoria

Land Details

Building Details

No Entries Found

Subsequent Building Alterations

No Entries Found

Architectural Features

    No Entries Found

Heritage Significance and Listings

Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes

Owners

No Entries Found

Residents

No Entries Found

Social History

25 – 54 Courtney Street, NW corner Courtney and Wreckyn Streets

The Edinburgh Castle [30] 1853 and recently rebadged as The Castle.

The 1850’s

The Edinburgh Castle was originally licensed as a wooden house of nine rooms on the south west corner of Arden and Leveson Streets, in December 1853. Its licence was renewed six months later with a warning to improve the premises. It is difficult to be sure what happened during those early years.

One source states that the Edinburgh moved to its present location in early 1855 and the first building on this site was also weatherboard. It goes on to state that by 1858 the hotel had been rebuilt in brick with 13 rooms. However, the Sands and McDougall directories do not support this information but show the Edinburgh Castle at the Arden and Leveson Street site until 1858.

From the 1860’s

In 1862, the Edinburgh Castle had grown to be a substantial place with bar, stables and thirteen rooms of which four were sitting rooms and nine were bedrooms. Competition was keen with twelve hotels in the vicinity. Ten of these, including the Loughmore Castle, closed in 1904. The Edinburgh Castle was consistently reported as ‘well conducted and clean’. With the residence and former shop alongside at numbers 56 and 58, the group of buildings still presents itself as a small piece of 19th Century streetscape.

Alterations in 1957, 1965. and again during the 1980’s have greatly changed the look of this historic old corner pub, but it is still there and still trading!

ALONG THE WAY

A later walk will be developed to tell the story of the hotels in this part of North Melbourne. They stretched out along Flemington Road into Mount Alexander Road and on to the gold fields, and to the Newmarket saleyards and the old city abbatoirs. Some of them are close to our route.

Historic Pubs of North Melbourne by Hotham History Project.



Context and Streetscape

Precinct

Zoning

Streetscape

Other Information

Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.

If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email info@hothamhistory.org.au