26 Chetwynd Street

26 Chetwynd Street
West Melbourne VIC 3003
photographer: Stephen Hatcher 2021

Also known as
Previous Address 26 was also known as 12 Chetwynd Street, West Melbourne before street renumbering. Source: source: Sands & McDougall directory
Constructed (1st) 21/1/1860 (2nd) tba
Style
Architect
Builder (1) Peter Ferguson (2) tba

Timelapse Building Images

No Entries Found

Land Details

  1. 1895 MMBW Map
  2. 1859 The Argus, Crown land sale

Building Details

Notice of Intention to Build.

Number: 47

Date : 21/1/1860

Street: Chetwynd Street

Owner/Builder: Peter Ferguson, North Melbourne

Type: Two room brick cottage [with its own private back garden]

Fee: £1.0.0

Peter Ferguson was the first individual to have lodged a notice of intention to build a house in Chetwynd Street.

Burchett Index


Subsequent Building Alterations

No Entries Found

Architectural Features



    No Entries Found


Heritage Significance and Listings

Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes

The highly sought after Victorian era heritage dwelling with its own private back yard garden that once existed on this site was demolished sometime in the 1970s.

Owners

From To Owner More Info Data Source
to date Private source: Hatcher Index
1859 Mr. Isaac Ramsden, first crown land purchaser source: Hatcher Index
abt 40 thousand years earlier 1835 Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria source: Hatcher Index

Residents

From To Resident More Info Data Source
to date Private source Hatcher Index
1965 1965 A. Camilleri source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1960 1960 Rigrow source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1950 1955 R. G. Morgan source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1944 1945 Italians source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1940 1940 Mrs. H. Larsen source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1935 1935 R. Kelly source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1930 1930 W. Sneddon source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1925 1925 George P. Russell source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1920 1920 Edward L. Darcy source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1895 1918 Mrs. Elizabeth Elliott nee Mander http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article10163893 source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1891 1895 John & Elizabeth Elliott nee Mander source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1863 1890 John and Barbara Elliott nee Purvis http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article1667018 source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1862 1862 Peter Ferguson (stonemason) source: Rate Book Records, VPRS5708 Bourke Ward, Chetwynd St.

Social History

John Elliott was an Engineer for the Victorian Railways and an owner of 26 Chetwynd Street, West Melbourne until the time of his death in 1890.

John was born in 1816 at Elswick, Northumberland, England, the son of George Elliott and Annie Mather and he was one of nine siblings.

A year after John’s wife Barbara Purvis died in 1890 at the age of 58, he remarried the widow Elizabeth Mander Brazier in 1891 and they lived at 26 Chetwynd Street, West Melbourne.

After John’s death in 1895, his wife Elizabeth outlived him by 23 years and passsed away peacefully in the Chetwynd Street family home in 1918.

source: Stephen Hatcher


1890 The Age.

ELLIOTT.—On the 17th August, at her residence, No.
26 Chetwynd-street, West Melbourne. Barbara, dearly beloved wife of Mr. John Elliott, aged 58 years.

source: The Age


1872 The Argus.

PETER FERGUSON, formerly of Chetwynd-street, West Melbourne, stonemason, lately residing at Ballarat, is requested to communicate with Whitehead and Boyd, William-street, Melbourne.

source: The Argus



Context and Streetscape

Precinct

This property resides within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
source: https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/history-city-of-melbourne.pdf
historical map source: https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/search-discover/explore-collections-format/maps/maps-melbourne-city-suburbs

Zoning
This information must be verified with the relevant planning or heritage authority.

Streetscape

Chetwynd Street was once predominantly a residential street with single and two storey Victorian terrace dwellings, two churches, a school and two hotels known as the Queens Arms and the Star of Hotham.

The Chetwynd streetscape today is characterised by a mix of multi-storey blocks of public flats, some modern commercial/industrial buildings, an ambulance depot, and a school.

In 2021, only fifty of the original one hundred and twenty-nine Victorian heritage dwellings once found on this street remain, compared to the 1895 Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works map.

Other Information

Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.

If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email info@hothamhistory.org.au