3 Provost Street

3 Provost Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
photographer: Stephen Hatcher

Also known as
Previous Address
Constructed 1st before 1860, 2nd 1970s
Style
Architect
Builder

Timelapse Building Images

No Entries Found

Land Details

  1. 1895 MMBW map
  2. Compiled Crown Record Plan
  3. The Argus, 1854 Government Land Sale, Mr. P. Hayes, first Crown land purchaser

Building Details

No Entries Found

Subsequent Building Alterations

No Entries Found

Architectural Features



    No Entries Found


Heritage Significance and Listings

Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes

The highly sought after Victorian era terrace dwelling with its own private back yard garden that once existed on this site was demolished and replaced by the industrial building on the site today. The factory has since been converted into a family home.

Owners

From To Owner More Info Data Source
to date Private source: Hatcher Index
1854 Mr. P. Hayes, first Crown land purchaser source: Hatcher Index
abt 40 thousand years earlier 1835 Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria source: Hatcher Index

Residents

From To Resident More Info Data Source
to date Private source Hatcher Index
1970 1974 Mason Duflex P/L source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1940 1965 Michael B. Fitzgerald source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1935 1935 Peter J. Brown source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1930 1930 vacant source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1925 1925 Charles D. Allen source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1920 1920 Mrs. Cath Croke source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1915 1915 William Rerden source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1912 Mrs. Ida Hobbs http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article241642467 source: The Herald
1900 1910 Mrs. L. F. J. Newnham source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1895 1895 Thomas Woods, store source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1890 1890 John J. Callaghan grcr source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1887 1887 Joseph Dunn source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1873 William Vincent source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1871 1872 John Tab source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1870 1870 Mrs. McNichol, dressmaker source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1868 1869 James Dawson source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1865 1867 Michael Laffan & F. Rule, bootmaker source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1862 1865 Francis Beuer & F. Rule, bootmaker source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.

Social History

1912 The Herald

IN MAN’S ATTIRE.
YOUNG WOMAN’S ESCAPADE
CHARGES OP LARCENY.
“Call Maria Lavell,” said Sergeant Slattery at the Carlton Court to-day, and a young woman dressed like a youth, in a dark tweed suit, with a black neckerchief, and holding a white felt hat in her left hand, came forward. Accused, who had the appearance of a strong, healthy youth of 18 years, was charged with having stolen a gold ring, valued at £2/10/, the property of Ida Hobbs.
Ida Hobbs, married woman, residing at 3 Provost street, North Melbourne, stated that on August 1 she was residing at the corner of Cross and Cardigan Streets, Carlton, with her mother-in-law. Maria Lavell, who was her sister-in-law, was also there. She was married, but living apart from her husband, having been married when sho was nbout 15 yearn of ago….

source: The Herald



Context and Streetscape

Precinct

This property sits within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
source: https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/history-city-of-melbourne.pdf
historical map source: https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/search-discover/explore-collections-format/maps/maps-melbourne-city-suburbs

Zoning
This information must be verified with the relevant planning or heritage authority.

Streetscape

Provost Street was once predominantly a residential street with single and two storey Victorian terrace dwellings, a green grocer shop, butcher shop, pork purveyors, a dairy, a confectioner, dressmaker, bootmaker shop, horse livery, wood yard, cabies, a Coach builder and hotels at either end known as the North Star Hotel at Abbotsford Street corner and Commercial Hotel on the Curzon Street corner.

Provost streetscape today is characterised by significantly less heritage dwellings, an addition of some contemporary multi-storey townhouses, and some 1940s to 1960s industrial buildings.

In 2022, only seventeen of the original forty seven heritage buildings remain (64% destroyed) which once existed on Provost street, compared to an 1895 Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works map.

As of 2022, some addresses on this street’s density level has been allowed to rise by four to five times larger, due to recent increase in council approved multi-level building redevelopments since 1895. In some cases, unrestricted increases in density can be detrimental to existing residents enjoyment of amenity and quality of life.

Other Information

Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.

If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email info@hothamhistory.org.au