|Also known as|
Timelapse Building Images
part of 301 Batman Street terrace home right hand side.
image source: State Library of Victoria
“The balconies of houses in the older parts of the city form unusual frames for views of some historic buildings.
The tower of St. James’ Old Cathedral is seen from the balcony of 301 Batman Street, West Melbourne.
The church was originally built in 1839 in a site bounded by Bourke, Little Collins and William Streets.
In 1881 St. Paul’s became the Cathedral Church, and in 1914 St. James’ was moved to its present cramped site at the corner of King and Batman Streets.
During the removel the foundation stone was lost. The furnishing of the church is of cedar, which gives “the church an stmosphere that immediately carries the mind into the past”
(Extracted from “A Brief Historical Survey of St. James’, West Melbourne” by Revs. J.L. Watt and R. J. Rowell)
image source: Victorian Heritage by E. Graeme Robertson 1974
- 1895 MMBW map enlarged
- 1895 MMBW map
- Compiled Crown Record Plan showing first Crown land purchaser was Mr. R. Hepburn.
Subsequent Building Alterations
Heritage Significance and Listings
|Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes|
Context and Streetscape