31 Miller Street

31 Miller Street
West Melbourne VIC 3003
photographer: Sue Scarfe

Also known as Hope Terrace
Previous Address 31 was also known as 15 Miller Street, West Melbourne before street renumbering. Source: source: Sands & McDougall directory
Constructed
Style
Architect
Builder

Timelapse Building Images

1983

29 to 33 Miller Street West Melbourne

photographer, Graeme Butler

1950’s

Standing outside 31 Miller Street West Melbourne is Jimmy (Irish) & Bert Sandal 1950s.

Who were they? Let us know if you do please.

http://www.picturevictoria.vic.gov.au/site/melbourne/NorthMelbourne/17718.html


Land Details

  1. 1895 MMBW map.
  2. Compiled Crown Record Plan.
  3. 1858 Benjarmin Cowderoy, first crown land purchaser.
  4. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article7305206
Benjamin Cowderoy was the First Chairman of St Kilda.

In 1857 he was elected to the St Kilda Council, becoming its first Chairman.

For a great many years he acted as Government Valuer to both the Railway Department and the Victorian Probate Office.

Building Details

No Entries Found

Subsequent Building Alterations

No Entries Found

Architectural Features



    No Entries Found


Heritage Significance and Listings

Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes

Owners

From To Owner More Info Data Source
to date Private source: Hatcher Index
1854 Benjarmin Cowderoy, first Crown land purchaser. source: Hatcher Index
abt 40 thousand years earlier 1835 Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria source: Hatcher Index

Residents

From To Resident More Info Data Source
to date Private source Hatcher Index
1974 1974 G. E. Licke & A. C. Limming, rooms. source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1955 1965 Joseph Vella source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1950 1950 John Mercieca source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1930 1945 Mary Ellen Hogan source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1925 1925 Miss. Hannah Griffin source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1920 1920 Phillipa English source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1915 1915 Sidney Smith source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1910 1910 Mrs. Eliza E Wade source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1888 1900 Mrs. Amelia Ingram source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1888 1895 John Ingram source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1887 1887 Patrick Whelan source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1885 1886 Frederick Gareed source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1884 1884 Mrs. Belshaw source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1883 1883 William Shreeve source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1881 1882 William Barrow source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1880 1880 Mrs. Maria Barwick source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.

Social History



Context and Streetscape

Precinct

This property sits within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
source: https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/history-city-of-melbourne.pdf
historical map source: https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/search-discover/explore-collections-format/maps/maps-melbourne-city-suburbs

Zoning
This information must be verified with the relevant planning or heritage authority.

Streetscape

The first building to face Miller Street, West Melbourne in 1851 was the Benevolent Asylum running from Curzon to Abbotsford Streets on its northern side. The southern side of the street contained predominantly single and double storey Victorian era residential dwellings, a milk bar/confectioner shop near the corner of Abbotsford as well as some green grocers and a bakery on the northern side between Abbotsford and Stawell Streets.

Further west was once the famous Brockoff biscuit factory which later merged with Arnott’s in 1963, the factory has been converted into flats.

After the demolition of the Asylum, all that piece of the Crown land grant was subdivided up into smaller house blocks and sold off for development which helps to explain why the street has Victoria architecture on one side and Edwardian architecture on the other.

Its historic dwellings have not all been immune from destruction, loosing eight Victorian dwellings and shops as well as the stone Methodist Church building on the southern corner of Miller and Spence Street. They have been replaced by commercial buildings from around 1950’s.

Thankfully the Methodist minister’s manse which can be seen facing onto Spencer at number 660 has survived the wrecking ball. Built by brothers James, John and Alfred Thurgood who also built sheds A-E at the Queen Victoria Market as well as a long list of other desirable buildings around Melbourne.

Miller streetscape today is characterised by a generous number of surviving heritage dwellings, with an addition of some commercial buildings at the western end.

There is a huge push by the local and State Government to increase the density of residents living in West Melbourne. Existing residents already in the area would do well to keep their eyes open for any new multi-storey development proposals slated for this street that may undermine the historic nature and charm of this very early historic residential area.

In some cases, unrestricted increases in density and taller building heights than heights of the existing streetscape can be detrimental to current residents’ enjoyment of amenity and quality of life.

Other Information

Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.

If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email info@hothamhistory.org.au