33 Howard Street

33 Howard Street
West Melbourne VIC 3003
Felicity Jack
Also known as Corner of Victoria and Howard Streets
Previous Address
Constructed
Style
Architect
Builder

Timelapse Building Images

1950s

Classified by the National Trust of Victoria and listed on the Victorian Heritage Register.

https://vhd.heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/places/65152

1923

Page 59 in the photo album on the attached link at State Library of Victoria.

http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/252062

1854

Page 59 in the photo album on the attached link at State Library of Victoria.

http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/252062

Land Details

Building Details

No Entries Found

Subsequent Building Alterations

No Entries Found

Architectural Features

    No Entries Found

Heritage Significance and Listings

Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes

Church Statement of Significance:
Melbourne’s largest parish church, built of Barrabool stone in 1893-1900 to the design of E J Henderson, and comprising clerestoried nave, transepts, apse and sacristies with crossing fleche and unfinished tower stump to the right of the main facade.
The interior includes a groined wooden ceiling, marble fittings, large stained glass windows and an important unaltered organ by George Fincham opened in 1900.

Classified 25/04/1974

Presbytery Statement of Significance
A substantial house of 1872 with simple detailing erected to plans supplied by William Wardell. It was substantially altered in 1881 to plans supplied by Reed and Barnes, by the addition of buttressed wing walls ornamented with inverted consoles, and linked by verandah and balcony. The house is also of interest in that it was the official residence of the Co-Adjustor Archbishops of Melbourne, particularly Archbishop Daniel Mannix from 1913-17 when it was the scene of controversial political activity.

Owners

No Entries Found

Residents

No Entries Found

Social History

No Entries Found


Context and Streetscape

Precinct

Zoning

Streetscape

Other Information

No Entries Found