39 Hawke Street

39 Hawke Street
West Melbourne VIC 3003
photographer: Stephen Hatcher, 2019

Also known as Muckersy’s row house Source: Hatcher Index
Previous Address 21.5 Hawke Street (before 1889) Source: Hatcher Index
Constructed 20/02/1883
Style Victorian, Late: 1875-1901
Architect Koch, J B
Builder Charles Nott, Normanby Road South Melbourne.

Timelapse Building Images

2009

maps.melbourne.vic.gov.au/

1980’s

photographer Karl Halla

1970’s

Heritage Collection North Melbourne Library


Land Details

1895 MMBW Map.

source: http://maps.melbourne.vic.gov.au/

Building Details

MCC registration no 183 [Burchett Index].

Fee £3.10.0

Two 2-storey brick houses.

J.A.B. Koch designed many houses in Melbourne including several in Hawthorn. His premier mansion was Labassa (Ontario) constructed two years later. The tight colonnade form to the loggias and the flat wall plane above used at Oxford can be seen also at Ontario as a small segment of that rich French Renaissance Palace. These designs are a marked departure from the sombre, standard Victorian mansion in evidence adjoining at 23 Isabella Grove (also by Koch). Although this design is clearly influenced by direct European sources, its flat wall surface and red brick were being pursued by other architects of the period as part of the “Modern Italian” style.

Architects Building Type
83105 Koch, J A B Bruche, W Parkville VIC Houses Nott, Charles – Erica St Prahran 1881 03 7 8710
83222 Robertson, David South Yarra VIC Houses Nott, Charles – Erica St Prahran 1881 06 15 8824
77319 Koch, J B Muckersy, H West Melbourne VIC Houses Nott, Charles – Normanby Road 1883 02 20 183
79385 Campbell, Colin Jones, Miss Louisia Carlton VIC Houses; Shops Nott, Charles – Grandview Gve Prahran 1887 10 14 3096
82997 Webb, -(W) North Melbourne Jones, Robert Parkville VIC Houses Nott, Charles – Prahran 1888 09 5 3588
77037 Campbell, Colin Bain, George Melbourne VIC Warehouses Nott, Charles – Grand View Grve, Prahran 1888 12 0 3700
76346 Throsell, Frederick Melbourne VIC Warehouses Nott, Charles – Grandview Rd Prahran 1889 05 29 3914

Burchett Index & http://images.heritage.vic.gov.au/attachment/40819


Subsequent Building Alterations

Its original iron and bluestone fence has been replaced at some time in the past however the correct fence can be reinstalled which would add more value both visually and financial value to the whole property than the brick fence.

Architectural Features




  • Doors
    Timber

    photographer: Stephen Hatcher 2019


  • Hardware
    Other metal

    photographer: Stephen Hatcher, 2019


  • Balcony
    Cast Iron

    photographer: Stephen Hatcher 2019


  • Building Ornamentation
    Timber

    photographer: Stephen Hatcher 2019


  • Building Ornamentation
    Terracotta

    photographer: Stephen Hatcher 2019


  • Lacework
    Cast Iron

    photographer: Stephen Hatcher 2019


  • Building Ornamentation
    Concrete

    photographer: Stephen Hatcher 2019



Heritage Significance and Listings

Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes

Intact detailed wrought iron lace work, veranda, original windows, however the fence and gate need to be reinstated to an original bluestone and cast iron similar to house 47.

Ornate and mostly intact masonry detail on the parapet front.

39 Hawke Street is a two-story brick and bluestone building containing building fabric from the 1883 period of construction and other than the front fence, it is unaltered and mostly intact to its era. Original verandah has restored cast iron panels and lacework. Original 4 panel solid wood front door with sidelights. Original chimneys are all intact and operational.

Owners

From To Owner More Info Data Source
1975 to date Private Hatcher Index
1971 1974 Richard & Lorraine Voss Hatcher Index
1962 1970 Charles Aquilina Hatcher Index
1930 1961 Winifred & Annie Kennedy Hatcher Index
25 1929 Muckersy’s Estate Hatcher Index
1913 1924 Henry Muckersy Hatcher Index
1880 1912 Henry McKersie Hatcher Index
1835 1879 Thomas Allison and A. H. Knight purchased land Hatcher Index
abt 40 thousand years earlier 1835 Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria Hatcher Index

Residents

From To Resident More Info Data Source
1975 to date Private Hatcher Index
1971 1974 Richard & Lorraine Voss Hatcher Index
1966 1970 Charles Aquilina Hatcher Index
1963 1965 Bart Borg Hatcher Index
1957 1962 Margaret Patricia Williams Hatcher Index
1953 1956 Dorothy McNeill Williams Hatcher Index
1945 1952 Ethel Williams Hatcher Index
1942 1944 Susan Matilda Williams Hatcher Index
1941 1941 vacant Hatcher Index
1936 1940 Phylis Wheeler Hatcher Index
1933 1935 Rita Ardell Hatcher Index
1932 1932 Charles Waugh Hatcher Index
1931 1931 Michael Hogan Hatcher Index
1927 1930 William Dudley Hatcher Index
1908 1925 John Donahue Hatcher Index
1907 1907 Norah Quinn Hatcher Index
1906 1906 Patrick McGrath Hatcher Index
1905 1905 Minnie Markham Hatcher Index
1902 1902 Annie Williams Hatcher Index
1895 1901 Mrs Annie McIntyre Hatcher Index
1894 1894 James Sharp Hatcher Index
1891 1891 W Mitchell Hatcher Index
1889 1889 Martin McClure or Mark McLure Hatcher Index
1887 1888 William Wright Hatcher Index
1886 1886 Mrs McKinley Hatcher Index
1884 1885 Mrs Mary Jane Addis Sands & McDougall directory

Social History

1936. Lila Wheeler.

The Herald


1929. 39 & 41 Hawke Street to let.

The Argus


1907. Room.

The Age


1899. Francis Rennie Thomson (His Majesties Customs)

The Argus


1892. Dressmaker wanted.

The Age


1882. A.O.F. Court Hotham.

The Age


1882. William & Hester Waite.

Weekly Times



Context and Streetscape

Precinct
This property resides within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
source: https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/history-city-of-melbourne.pdf
historical map source: https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/search-discover/explore-collections-format/maps/maps-melbourne-city-suburbs

Zoning
This information must be verified with the relevant planning or heritage authority.

Streetscape

Hawke Street and the surrounding streetscapes in part, were indirectly influenced by news about the discovery of Gold by Dunlop and Regan in Victoria at Poverty Point, Ballarat in 1851. News of that find led to a great influx of migrants arriving in old Melbourne, seeking fortune and a better life, but housing in old Melbourne was in short supply. The sheer volume of arrivals led to pressure on authorities to expand the size of the colonial settlement, described by Albert Mattingley in his recollections of The Early History of North Melbourne, in 1916.

In 1852, government surveyor Charles Laing’s ‘Plan of the City of Melbourne and its Extension Northwards’ helped alleviate dramatically the pressure for more housing.

Vacant building allotments were pegged, surveyed, and allocated for sale towards the north, on La-Trobe, Adderley, Jeffcott, Spencer, Batman, King, Dudley, Rosslyn, Stanley, Roden and Hawke Street. Blocks of land were auctioned, with Hawke Street land first offered for sale in May, 1853.

By October 1853, W.M. Tennent wrote in the Argus newspaper:

 “Hawke Street is most desirably situated, is in a most healthy and elevated position and commands extensive views of the shipping in the bay and of all surrounding districts”

The race to be the first to have an influence on Hawke streetscape was won in July 1853 by Scotsman, Colin Campbell, who created two stone and brick rendered dwellings and a timber workshop at 19, 21 and 23 Hawke. He was quickly followed a week later by Thomas Stevens who built four wooden cottages on the corner of Hawke and King Streets. Steven’s wooden dwellings were later replaced in 1920 by S. J. Marshall’s architect- designed pharmaceutical laboratory while Campbell’s buildings were demolished in 1972 when the three-storey red brick Miami hotel was created in their place.

In the 1890s, the Hawke residential streetscape began to slowly change with the introduction of industry. The largest of the early industrial buildings that had moved out of Melbourne’s CBD, made its new home on the corner of Hawke and Adderley Streets.  It was designed by architects Oakden, Addison & Kemp and built in 1889 by John Dunton for Brisco & Co. who were cast iron merchants of Elizabeth Street Melbourne.

At the most southern end, an 1868 resident and engineer, Gideon James, and his wife Catherine, once lived at 207 Hawke while Gideon operated the Avon Tool Works business located next door at 199 Hawke until 1909. Their double- fronted Victorian home and garden and nearby workshop both were demolished in the 1920s and replaced by a two-storey red brick industrial building that has since been converted into 12 townhouses.

The southern end of the Hawke streetscape in the late 1860s was also home to a handful of important greengrocer and butcher shops. Among their owners were names such as James Ibbetson, William Wood, and Mrs. Mary Ann Smith.

In 1881, the streetscape continued to change with the arrival of Miss. J. Hutchinson’s mantle & underclothing factory at 96 Hawke, and Francis Gillman, who lived and operated a boot factory at 62 Hawke. The streetscape continued evolving when both Victorian period homes and workshops were demolished and replaced Number 96 is now a park and number 62 is a modern red and cream brick construction built in the 1980s.

Following World War Two, the Hawke streetscape received a rush of extra industrial buildings, from the Spencer Street corner southwards. These factories made all manner of items from electric batteries to spark plugs and baby carriages, marketed nationwide.

In 1895, the street contained 89 Victorian era dwellings. Seven Federation dwellings followed soon after. As of 2022, Hawke Street has lost 43 heritage dwellings, removed from its streetscape forever.

Without stronger heritage protection laws, by the year 2150, the number of heritage dwellings in this streetscape potentially could face total obliteration.

The remaining historic dwellings on Hawke Street are important to the area because they are socially and historically significant buildings that retain private back yard gardens and they relate directly to the early development of West Melbourne.

The Hawke streetscape today contains a collection of outstanding Victorian and Federation dwellings, which are a particularly well-preserved group from important architectural periods in time. These dwellings are interspersed by some industrial buildings, with two early hotels predominantly on the southern side south of the Hawke and Spencer Street intersection.

The North and West Melbourne Precinct is of historical, social, and aesthetic/architectural significance to the local residents and to the City of Melbourne. It is of historical significance, as a predominantly Victorian-era precinct associated with the nineteenth century growth of Melbourne to its north and west.

The residents living in the heritage dwellings along the streetscape are impacted by a push to increase residential density through conversions of the two to three storey red brick industrial buildings into six to eight story blocks of flats, blocks that offer little or no onsite car parking or onsite garden space.

It is imperative existing heritage regulations within the wider built environment be strengthened and laws be strictly followed. All development that occurs in future on Hawke Street ought to be architecturally respectful of the existing style, low scale heights and the hand-crafted materials utilised in keeping with the historic style.

Some might say the residents of Hawke Street and the surrounding streets of greater Melbourne owe a debt of gratitude to the wise Victorian settlers who created the beautiful terrace homes found along these streetscapes of today.

Other Information

[93]

Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.

If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email info@hothamhistory.org.au