|Also known as|
|Previous Address||40 was also known as 24 Chetwynd Street, West Melbourne before street renumbering.||Source: source: Sands & McDougall directory|
Timelapse Building Images
Single storey double fronted Victorian family home with front and private rear garden.
Subsequent Building Alterations
Heritage Significance and Listings
|Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes|
The highly sought after Victorian era heritage dwelling with its own private back yard garden that once existed on this site was demolished sometime after 1930 and replaced by an industrial building, then that was demolished and replaced by the current five storey block of flats in 2003.
|From||To||Owner||More Info||Data Source|
|to date||Private||source: Hatcher Index|
|1859||Mr. Isaac Ramsden, first crown land purchaser||source: Hatcher Index|
|abt 40 thousand years earlier||1835||Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria||source: Hatcher Index|
|From||To||Resident||More Info||Data Source|
|to date||Private||source Hatcher Index|
|1935||1940||Symington & Co. (Corset Factory)||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1925||1930||William E. Stanton||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1920||1920||Percy Hawke||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1910||1915||John Elder||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1905||1905||George Askew||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1895||1900||Charles Brown||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1890||1890||Frank Huggins||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
Context and Streetscape
This property resides within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
This information must be verified with the relevant planning or heritage authority.
Chetwynd Street was once predominantly a residential street with single and two storey Victorian terrace dwellings, two churches, a school and two hotels known as the Queens Arms and the Star of Hotham.
The Chetwynd streetscape today is characterised by a mix of multi-storey blocks of public flats, some modern commercial/industrial buildings, an ambulance depot, and a school.
In 2021, only fifty of the original one hundred and twenty-nine Victorian heritage dwellings once found on this street remain, compared to the 1895 Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works map.
Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.
If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email firstname.lastname@example.org