41 Hawke Street

41 Hawke Street
West Melbourne VIC 3003
photographer: Stephen Hatcher, 2019

Also known as Muckersy’s row house Source: Hatcher Index
Previous Address 22 or 22a Hawke Street (before 1889) Source: Hatcher Index
Constructed 20/02/1883
Style Victorian, Late: 1875-1901
Architect Koch, J B
Builder Charles Nott, Normanby Road South Melbourne.

Timelapse Building Images

2009

http://maps.melbourne.vic.gov.au

1983

photographer: Graeme Butler

1970’s

Heritage Collection North Melbourne Library


Land Details

1895 MMBW map.

source: http://maps.melbourne.vic.gov.au/

Building Details

MCC registration no 183 [Burchett Index].

Fee £3.10.0

Two 2-storey brick houses.

J.A.B. Koch designed many houses in Melbourne including several in Hawthorn. His premier mansion was Labassa (Ontario) constructed two years later. The tight colonnade form to the loggias and the flat wall plane above used at Oxford can be seen also at Ontario as a small segment of that rich French Renaissance Palace. These designs are a marked departure from the sombre, standard Victorian mansion in evidence adjoining at 23 Isabella Grove (also by Koch). Although this design is clearly influenced by direct European sources, its flat wall surface and red brick were being pursued by other architects of the period as part of the “Modern Italian” style.

Architects Building Type
83105 Koch, J A B Bruche, W Parkville VIC Houses Nott, Charles – Erica St Prahran 1881 03 7 8710
83222 Robertson, David South Yarra VIC Houses Nott, Charles – Erica St Prahran 1881 06 15 8824
77319 Koch, J B Muckersy, H West Melbourne VIC Houses Nott, Charles – Normanby Road 1883 02 20 183
79385 Campbell, Colin Jones, Miss Louisia Carlton VIC Houses; Shops Nott, Charles – Grandview Gve Prahran 1887 10 14 3096
82997 Webb, -(W) North Melbourne Jones, Robert Parkville VIC Houses Nott, Charles – Prahran 1888 09 5 3588
77037 Campbell, Colin Bain, George Melbourne VIC Warehouses Nott, Charles – Grand View Grve, Prahran 1888 12 0 3700
76346 Throsell, Frederick Melbourne VIC Warehouses Nott, Charles – Grandview Rd Prahran 1889 05 29 3914

Burchett Index & http://images.heritage.vic.gov.au/attachment/40819


Subsequent Building Alterations

Balcony and fence have been changed some time before the 1970’s however that work can be corrected back to its original look using its twin next door as a style guide.

Architectural Features




  • Doors
    Timber



Heritage Significance and Listings

Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes

Intact detailed parapet, original windows, however the cast iron lacework on the upper balcony and front fence and gate need to be reinstated to a bluestone and cast iron similar style to house 47.

Ornate and mostly intact masonry detail on the upper parapet front.

Like its twin at 39, 41 Hawke Street is a two-story brick and bluestone building containing building fabric from the 1883 period of construction and other than the balcony lacework and front fence, overall the main body of the house is unaltered and mostly intact to its era. Original panel solid wood front door with sidelights. Original chimney is mostly intact and operational however a small masonry render repair on the front would be recommended.

Owners

From To Owner More Info Data Source
1975 to date Private Hatcher Index
1974 1874 Mary Zammit Hatcher Index
1971 1973 Lawrence & Mary Zammit Hatcher Index
1965 1970 Sydney Zammit Hatcher Index
1962 1964 Charles Aquilina Hatcher Index
1930 1961 Winifred & Annie Kennedy Hatcher Index
1925 1929 Muckersy’s Estate Hatcher Index
1918 1924 Henry Muckersy Hatcher Index
1913 1917 Henry MacKensy Hatcher Index
1883 1912 Henry McKersie Hatcher Index
1880 1882 Henry McKersie (vacant land) Hatcher Index
1853 1879 Thomas Allison and A. H. Knight purchased land Hatcher Index
abt 40 thousand years earlier 1835 Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria Hatcher Index

Residents

From To Resident More Info Data Source
1975 to date Private Hatcher Index
1974 1974 Mary Zammit Hatcher Index
1971 1973 Lawrence & Mary Zammit Hatcher Index
1965 1970 Sydney Zammit Hatcher Index
1964 1964 Salvior Spitiri Hatcher Index
1963 1963 William Francis Myer Hatcher Index
1961 1962 vacant Hatcher Index
1951 1960 John William Wall Hatcher Index
1941 1950 William Edward Williamson and Mrs. Elsie Williamson, nee Harris http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11345194 Hatcher Index
1933 1940 Robert Jones http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article205953400 Hatcher Index
1932 1932 Charles Gerald Welby Hatcher Index
1931 1931 Moyra Murray Hatcher Index
1918 1930 Thomas A. Kennedy http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article241797173 Hatcher Index
1903 1917 John and Ann Kennedy, nee Casey http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article2156143 Hatcher Index
1902 1902 John Lindsay Hatcher Index
1895 1901 Thomas and Mary Ryan, nee Hunt http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article138610391 Hatcher Index
1891 1891 Mrs Miller Hatcher Index
1888 1890 Mrs Brophy Hatcher Index
1887 1887 Mrs Moran Hatcher Index
1886 1886 Mrs Addis Hatcher Index
1884 1885 George Page Sands & McDougall Directory

Social History

1983 Kenneth F. McFarlane report

https://trove.nla.gov.au/version/21828180


1953. Exchange 2 story house for cottage any suburb.

The Herald


1954. William Williamson Wins again.

The Herald


1943. Elsie Williamson

The Argus


1936. Rene Jones

The Age


1936. Doris Jones

The Age


1929. Executors auction, 39-41 Hawke Street

The Argus


1929. Estate of Captain H Muckeray.

The Age


1925. Ann Kennedy

The Argus


1924. Lost

The Age


1914. John & Ann Kennedy

The Argus


1913. Minnie Kennedy

The Herald


1900. Housework.

The Age


1899. Edward Francis Ryan

The Argus


1896. Mary Ryan

The Argus


1894. Thomas Ryan

The Argus


1890. Comfortable board.

The Age


1884. Bricklayers

The Age


1878. Tenders wanted Alterations and Additions

The Age


1867. Captain Muckersy

The Argus



Context and Streetscape

Precinct
This property resides within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
source: https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/history-city-of-melbourne.pdf
historical map source: https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/search-discover/explore-collections-format/maps/maps-melbourne-city-suburbs

Zoning
This information must be verified with the relevant planning or heritage authority.

Streetscape

Hawke Street and the surrounding streetscapes in part, were indirectly influenced by news about the discovery of Gold by Dunlop and Regan in Victoria at Poverty Point, Ballarat in 1851. News of that find led to a great influx of migrants arriving in old Melbourne, seeking fortune and a better life, but housing in old Melbourne was in short supply. The sheer volume of arrivals led to pressure on authorities to expand the size of the colonial settlement, described by Albert Mattingley in his recollections of The Early History of North Melbourne, in 1916.

In 1852, government surveyor Charles Laing’s ‘Plan of the City of Melbourne and its Extension Northwards’ helped alleviate dramatically the pressure for more housing.

Vacant building allotments were pegged, surveyed, and allocated for sale towards the north, on La-Trobe, Adderley, Jeffcott, Spencer, Batman, King, Dudley, Rosslyn, Stanley, Roden and Hawke Street. Blocks of land were auctioned, with Hawke Street land first offered for sale in May, 1853.

By October 1853, W.M. Tennent wrote in the Argus newspaper:

 “Hawke Street is most desirably situated, is in a most healthy and elevated position and commands extensive views of the shipping in the bay and of all surrounding districts”

The race to be the first to have an influence on Hawke streetscape was won in July 1853 by Scotsman, Colin Campbell, who created two stone and brick rendered dwellings and a timber workshop at 19, 21 and 23 Hawke. He was quickly followed a week later by Thomas Stevens who built four wooden cottages on the corner of Hawke and King Streets. Steven’s wooden dwellings were later replaced in 1920 by S. J. Marshall’s architect- designed pharmaceutical laboratory while Campbell’s buildings were demolished in 1972 when the three-storey red brick Miami hotel was created in their place.

In the 1890s, the Hawke residential streetscape began to slowly change with the introduction of industry. The largest of the early industrial buildings that had moved out of Melbourne’s CBD, made its new home on the corner of Hawke and Adderley Streets.  It was designed by architects Oakden, Addison & Kemp and built in 1889 by John Dunton for Brisco & Co. who were cast iron merchants of Elizabeth Street Melbourne.

At the most southern end, an 1868 resident and engineer, Gideon James, and his wife Catherine, once lived at 207 Hawke while Gideon operated the Avon Tool Works business located next door at 199 Hawke until 1909. Their double- fronted Victorian home and garden and nearby workshop both were demolished in the 1920s and replaced by a two-storey red brick industrial building that has since been converted into 12 townhouses.

The southern end of the Hawke streetscape in the late 1860s was also home to a handful of important greengrocer and butcher shops. Among their owners were names such as James Ibbetson, William Wood, and Mrs. Mary Ann Smith.

In 1881, the streetscape continued to change with the arrival of Miss. J. Hutchinson’s mantle & underclothing factory at 96 Hawke, and Francis Gillman, who lived and operated a boot factory at 62 Hawke. The streetscape continued evolving when both Victorian period homes and workshops were demolished and replaced Number 96 is now a park and number 62 is a modern red and cream brick construction built in the 1980s.

Following World War Two, the Hawke streetscape received a rush of extra industrial buildings, from the Spencer Street corner southwards. These factories made all manner of items from electric batteries to spark plugs and baby carriages, marketed nationwide.

In 1895, the street contained 89 Victorian era dwellings. Seven Federation dwellings followed soon after. As of 2022, Hawke Street has lost 43 heritage dwellings, removed from its streetscape forever.

Without stronger heritage protection laws, by the year 2150, the number of heritage dwellings in this streetscape potentially could face total obliteration.

The remaining historic dwellings on Hawke Street are important to the area because they are socially and historically significant buildings that retain private back yard gardens and they relate directly to the early development of West Melbourne.

The Hawke streetscape today contains a collection of outstanding Victorian and Federation dwellings, which are a particularly well-preserved group from important architectural periods in time. These dwellings are interspersed by some industrial buildings, with two early hotels predominantly on the southern side south of the Hawke and Spencer Street intersection.

The North and West Melbourne Precinct is of historical, social, and aesthetic/architectural significance to the local residents and to the City of Melbourne. It is of historical significance, as a predominantly Victorian-era precinct associated with the nineteenth century growth of Melbourne to its north and west.

The residents living in the heritage dwellings along the streetscape are impacted by a push to increase residential density through conversions of the two to three storey red brick industrial buildings into six to eight story blocks of flats, blocks that offer little or no onsite car parking or onsite garden space.

It is imperative existing heritage regulations within the wider built environment be strengthened and laws be strictly followed. All development that occurs in future on Hawke Street ought to be architecturally respectful of the existing style, low scale heights and the hand-crafted materials utilised in keeping with the historic style.

Some might say the residents of Hawke Street and the surrounding streets of greater Melbourne owe a debt of gratitude to the wise Victorian settlers who created the beautiful terrace homes found along these streetscapes of today.

Other Information

[93]

Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.

If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email info@hothamhistory.org.au