44 Chetwynd Street

44 Chetwynd Street
West Melbourne VIC 3003
photographer: Stephen Hatcher 2021

Also known as
Previous Address
Constructed
Style
Architect
Builder

Timelapse Building Images

No Entries Found

Land Details

  1. 1895 MMBW map
  2. 1859 The Argus, Crown land sale

Building Details

No Entries Found

Subsequent Building Alterations

The original Victorian era heritage dwelling with its own private back yard garden that was on this site was demolished sometime before 1932 and replaced by an industrial textile building below.

1932 The Herald.

ADDITIONS TO CORSET FACTORY
Tennis Court On Roof For Employees Further additions arc being made to the corset factory of Messrs R. and W.H. Symington and Co. (Aus.) Pty. Ltd., who established their Australian headquarters in Melbourne 10 years ago. In 1920 the firm’s architects designed the flrst additions to the old factory buildings in Howard Street, West Melbourne. These consisted of a new outline room, with an electric machine room above. In 1930 it was decided to begin building an extra wing, on the Chetwynd Street frontage, at the rear, three stories and a semi-basement were completed.
It was found necessary this year to add another story to this wing, provision having been made for the work. The accompanying illustration shows the completed wing, with the new top floor, which is now in course of construction.
Built of brick and reinforced concrete and steel construction, the new building embodies the latest in factory design The front is a modern adaptation of Renaissance. Each floor has a capacity of more than 5000 square feet.
The top floor is of reinforced concrete, with another floor of selected mountain ash on top. The windows are of steel construction, and an electric goods lift serves all floors. Fire sprinklers arc provided throughout and a complete heating system has been installed, the large concrete roof will be screened off to provide a tennis
court and play area for the employees.
The associated architects are Messrs A. A. Fritsch. jun., and M. C. Clayton, of 379 Collins Street Melbourne.

source: The Herald

Architectural Features



    No Entries Found


Heritage Significance and Listings

Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes

The highly sought after Victorian era heritage dwelling with its own private back yard garden that once existed on this site was demolished sometime before 1932 and replaced by the industrial building for textile firm R. & W. H. Symington & Co that sits on the site today. The art decco factory has since been converted into flats around 2003.

Owners

From To Owner More Info Data Source
to date Private source: Hatcher Index
1859 Mr. Isaac Ramsden, first crown land purchaser source: Hatcher Index
abt 40 thousand years earlier 1835 Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria source: Hatcher Index

Residents

From To Resident More Info Data Source
to date Private source Hatcher Index
1932 1940 R. & W. H. Symington & Co P/L (workshops) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article46468696 source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1930 1930 G. Wall source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1925 1925 J. McClure source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1920 1920 J. R. Patrick source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1915 1915 P. Walsh source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1910 1910 J. Donegan (police constable) source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1905 1905 G. Grant source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1900 1900 W. Mitchell source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1895 1895 J O’Neil source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1890 1890 T. Bryce source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1885 1885 M Curtis source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1880 1880 J. W. Payter source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1877 1879 Mrs. McGuire source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1876 1876 F. Egglestone source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1875 1875 J. Payter source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1874 1874 C. Dakin source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1873 1873 Mrs. Atkins source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1872 1872 Otto Weldemar Berliner (detective) and Sarah Berliner nee Snell http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article5767292 source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.

Social History

1963 Australian Women’s Weekly.

… that Peter Pan look
is the feminine look.
The sleekest, smoothest foundations ever in frosty-white carefree Lycra spiced with coffee-cream lace. Extravagantly feminine, utterly luxurious. You’ll feel all woman, all over. And look it, too. Because
no one knows figures like Peter Pan.
PETER PAN PANTIE
9839 Coffee lace on white Lycra.
Small, medium, large, extra large. 99/f
9838 PETER PAN GIRDLE
Small, medium, large. 75/
PETER PAN BRA
59-8 Natural Treasure Contour cups. Frosty
white lace or coffee lace. Natural . . . just you,
beautifully shaped. ‘Without adding’.
A, B and C Cups, 32″-38″ 39/11
The figure you want is in every Peter Pan Bra,
Girdle and Corselette MADE IN AUSTRALIA BY
R. & W. H. Symington & Co. (Aust.) Pry. Ltd Melbourne

source: Australian Womens Weekly


1867 The Age.

Missing Friends.
ADVERTISEMENT.— PRIVATE . INQUIRY OFFICE,
78 Elizabeth-STREET.
Inquiries for Missing friends, next of Kin.
Inquiries for Absconding Debtors.
Inquiries for Absconding Insolvents.
Writs served. Debts collected.
Branch offices London and Sydney.
Agencies in tho Australian Colonies and New Zealand.
Testimonials from tbe highest authorities of Victoria. All
communications must contain return stamps. Letters
containing money must be registered.

02 do 30 OTTO BERLINER, Proprietor

source: The Age


1866 The Argus.

MARRIAGE.
BERLINER-SNELL.-On the 7th inst., at St. Mary’s Church, Hotham, by Rev. Mr. Potter, Mr. Otto Weldemar Berliner to Miss Sarah Snell, both of this city.

source: The Argus 1866



Context and Streetscape

Precinct

This property resides within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
source: https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/history-city-of-melbourne.pdf
historical map source: https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/search-discover/explore-collections-format/maps/maps-melbourne-city-suburbs

Zoning
This information must be verified with the relevant planning or heritage authority.

Streetscape

Chetwynd Street was once predominantly a residential street with single and two storey Victorian terrace dwellings, two churches, a school and two hotels known as the Queens Arms and the Star of Hotham.

The Chetwynd streetscape today is characterised by a mix of multi-storey blocks of public flats, some modern commercial/industrial buildings, an ambulance depot, and a school.

In 2021, only fifty of the original one hundred and twenty-nine Victorian heritage dwellings once found on this street remain, compared to the 1895 Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works map.

Other Information

Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.

If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email info@hothamhistory.org.au