446 La Trobe Street

446 La Trobe Street
West Melbourne VIC 3003
photographer: Stephen Hatcher

Also known as
Previous Address 248 Latrobe street before Council street renumbering Source: source: The Argus 1858
Constructed (1) 1853, (2) 1873
Style
Architect
Builder James Heffernan

Timelapse Building Images

1930s

photo source: State Library of Victoria

1882

Signed and dated in image l.l.: A.C. COOKE DEL 1882
Printed below image l.r.: Sands and McDougall, Printers, Melbourne.
Title printed below image l.c.
Printed below image l.l.: Supplement to “The Illustrated Melbourne News”, April, 1882.
Published in: The Illustrated Melbourne News, April 1882.

http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/41180

section of original image, source: State Library of Victoria


Land Details

  1. Current map
  2. 1895 MMBW map
  3. Compiled Crown Record Plan showing Mr. John Freer was the first Crown land purchaser of 4 land allotments in 1850
  4. 1850 Government land sale notice

Building Details

1st Notice of intent to build.

Street: Corner King & Latrobe Street

Number: 16.

Date 4/1/1853

Owner & Builder: James Heffernan, Latrobe Street West Melbourne.

Fee: £1.0.0

Type: Wooden building.

Other building work by James Heffernan listed below.

Owner Suburb Type Builder Build Date (YYYY MM DD) Reg no
Heffernan, James – plasterer – off Latrobe Street Melbourne Houses Heffernan, James 1850 12 16 515
Heffernan, James – Latrobe St west Melbourne Buildings Heffernan, James 1853 01 4 16
Heffernan, James – Latrobe St west West Melbourne Houses Heffernan, James 1854 07 21 1312
Heffernan, James – Melbourne Melbourne Houses Heffernan, James 1864 09 26 465
Heffernan, James Melbourne Shops Heffernan, James – 134 Latrobe St west 1873 01 22 5206

source: Burchett Index


Subsequent Building Alterations

2nd Notice of intent to build.

Street: Corner King & Latrobe Street

Number: 5260.

Date 22/1/1873

Owner & Builder: James Heffernan, 134 Latrobe Street West Melbourne.

Fee: £1.0.0

Type: Brick shop of two rooms and a litchen.

source: Burchett Index

Architectural Features



    No Entries Found


Heritage Significance and Listings

Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes

Heffernan’s 1873 two story Victoria era dwelling and shop below would have been located behind the bus shelter with its shopfront facing onto Latrobe Street. The historic building has been demolished and replaced by a modern three story building.

Owners

From To Owner More Info Data Source
1911 to date Private source: Hatcher Index
1910 1910 Equity Trustees source: Hatcher Index
1904 1906 Annie Slater source: Hatcher Index
1888 19902 Slater Brothers source: Hatcher Index
1887 1887 Robert Reid source: Hatcher Index
1881 1885 Caleb J. Jenner source: Hatcher Index
1857 1880 James John Heffernan and Margaret Mary Frances Heffernan, nee Wall source: Hatcher Index
1850 1856 John Freer source: Hatcher Index
abt 40 thousand years earlier 1835 Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria source: Hatcher Index

Residents

From To Resident More Info Data Source
1930 to date Private source: Hatcher Index
1918 1930 Miss Eleanor ‘Nellie’ McGlinn, artist source: Hatcher Index
1913 1914 Michael Monaghan source: Hatcher Index
1910 1911 George H. Hector, hm & bf shp source: Hatcher Index
1903 1907 T. Kingsland, chemist and drama teacher source: Hatcher Index
1898 1901 Fred Hilditch, smelter source: Hatcher Index
1885 1895 John S. Erskine source: Hatcher Index
1893 1893 Mrs M.L. Grant source: Hatcher Index
1893 1893 Mrs M. McDonald source: Hatcher Index
1892 1892 William Smith source: Hatcher Index
1881 1889 David McKenzie source: Hatcher Index
1883 1884 Caleb J. Jenner source: Hatcher Index
1857 1880 James J. Heffernan builder and chemist source: Hatcher Index
1850 1856 John and Augusta Priscilla Freer nee Raymond source: Hatcher Index

Social History

1903 Dramatic Elocution.

T. Kingsland, author, comprehensive system elocution, through course; gesture; Lessons daily. 446 Latrobe Street West Melbourne.

source: The Argus


JAMES J. HEFFERNAN, Chemist and Druggist,
248 King-street, corner of La Trobe-street, Melbourne.

source: The Argus


West Melbourne Artist

Eleanor or ‘Nellie’ McGlinn (1862-1937) as her siblings nicknamed her, was the fourth of five McGlinn children born in Melbourne in 1862. Her parents were dairyman and later pub owner, Francis McGlinn of Tyrone Ireland and Alicia May O’Neil also of Ireland.

The McGlinn family arrived in the early 1840s and settled down at the River Plenty, Victoria and operated the Bridge Inn. The family later moved into Melbourne and operated the Devon & Cornwall Hotel in Latrobe-street Melbourne.

Nellie’s father Francis died in 1879 at the age of only 48 years. Alicia, her mother, took over management of the hotel, applying for a publican’s license at that time, and Nellie would have just completed her arts study at The National Gallery of Victoria Art School, associated with the National Gallery of Victoria, the school began around 1867.

Nellie’s school was ideally located also in Latrobe Street Melbourne, just behind the State Library. It was then, the leading centre of excellence for academic art training in Australia, other artists such as Frederick McCubbin, Tom Roberts and Arthur Streeton had graduated there.

Mother Alicia McGlinn nee O’Neil outlived her husband Francis by 40 years, passing away in 1919 at their family home in Latrobe Street, Melbourne at the age of 91 years, Alicia had been a colonist since 1841.

Nellie never married and lived the remainder of her life between 480 and later 446 Latrobe Street, West Melbourne until her death at the age of 75 years in 1937. She is buried in the catholic portion of the Pine Ridge Cemetery Coburg along with other members of the McGlinn family.

Her painting entitled Melbourne from the South Bank of the Yarra, 1840 was purchased by the State Library of Victoria in 1929 and is exhibited in the Edith Cowen Gallery.

Information sourced from Births Deaths and Marriages Victoria, Trove, Council Rate Book records and the State Library of Victoria.

cemetery photograph by Peter Cumming.

art source: http://handle.slv.vic.gov.au/10381/101215


Nellie McGlinn’s circa 1875 painting shows Batman’s Hill, later to become the site of Spencer Street Railway Yards, and sailing ships.
This work shows Melbourne from the south bank of the Yarra River, looking across from the turning basin. The distinctive roof line of John Pascoe Fawkner’s hotel (then known as the Shakespeare Hotel) can be seen on the hill at the corner of Collins and Market streets. This painting is based on a sketch of Melbourne in 1840 by George Henry Haydon (1822-91). Published in The Australasian Sketcher in 1875, the sketch depicts a similar scene from this same vantage-point. The artist attended the National Gallery school between 1877 and 1879. Eleanor “Nellie” McGlinn died in West Melbourne at the age of 87, she was the daughter of Francis & Alicia McGlinn of Melbourne.
Image purchased in 1929 and held by: State Library of Victoria.
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article70010903

http://search.slv.vic.gov.au/permalink/f/1o9hq1f/SLV_VOYAGER1657048


Death, March 27th, after a few days illness, William Ernest, infant son of Mr John Freer, Latrobe street West.
John and Augusta Freer nee Raymond background
John Freer was christened in 1820, the son of William Henry Freer and Maria Powell of Old Swinford, Worchester England.
John married Augusta Priscilla Raymond on the 12th of May 1847 in England and
they set sail for Australia sometime before 1850. We know this because John purchased land in Latrobe Street, West Melbourne in May 1850.
Augusta gave birth to their second child, named William Ernest Freer whilst they were living on their own land in Latrobe Street, in 1852 but the child died a few days later on the 27th of March.
Augusta and John had nine children in total.
John Freer’s brothers William Henry and George Freer became prominent merchants of Elizabeth Street, Melbourne.
Information sourced from Births Deaths and Marriages Victoria, Trove, Council Rate Book records and the State Library of Victoria.

newspaper source: The Argus 1852



Context and Streetscape

Precinct

This property resides within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
source: https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/history-city-of-melbourne.pdf
historical map source: https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/search-discover/explore-collections-format/maps/maps-melbourne-city-suburbs

Streetscape

Other Information

Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.

If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email info@hothamhistory.org.au