|Also known as||Osborne House|
Timelapse Building Images
Subsequent Building Alterations
Heritage Significance and Listings
|Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes|
456 Victoria Street (Osborne House)
Private house 1854-1868, school 1868- c.1895, now a residence.
A building on the Victorian Heritage Register and considered to be of state importance
Osborne House, one of the earliest surviving houses in North Melbourne, is a rare two storey prefabricated building with pine frames, believed to have been prefabricated in the US. It was originally built for George Ward Cole who was elected to the Legislative Council between 1860 and 1870 and persisted in drawing attention to unemployment as a major social issue.
When Osborne House was first built in 1854, there were five rooms. It was extended to fourteen rooms in 1865. Sold to Miss S. Hales in 1871, it was used by her and her sister as a ladies’ college from 1868- 1895 when It became a residence again.
The façade has some very particular design features. The porch has a triple arch and the lower windows are in bays with tile-clad hipped roofs.
Historic Pubs of North Melbourne by Hotham History Project.
Context and Streetscape