46 Chetwynd Street

46 Chetwynd Street
West Melbourne VIC 3003
photographer: Stephen Hatcher 2021

Also known as
Previous Address 46 was also known as 30 Chetwynd Street, West Melbourne before street renumbering. Source: source: Sands & McDougall directory
Constructed
Style
Architect
Builder

Timelapse Building Images

No Entries Found

Land Details

  1. 1895 MMBW map
  2. 1859 The Argus, Crown land sale

Building Details

No Entries Found

Subsequent Building Alterations

No Entries Found

Architectural Features



    No Entries Found


Heritage Significance and Listings

Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes

The highly sought after Victorian era heritage dwelling with its own private back yard garden that once existed on this site was demolished sometime after 1965 and replaced by the current 4 storey concrete office building with ground level parking. Built & sub-divided 1988.

Owners

From To Owner More Info Data Source
to date Private source: Hatcher Index
1859 Mr. Moses Moss, first Crown land purchaser source: Hatcher Index
abt 40 thousand years earlier 1835 Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria source: Hatcher Index

Residents

From To Resident More Info Data Source
to date Private source Hatcher Index
1874 1974 ‘vacant development site’ source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1965 1965 C. Cheong source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1960 1960 G. Pastura source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1950 1950 F. French source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1930 1945 Mrs. S. French source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1925 1925 Stephen F. Rogers source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1920 1920 John M. Russell and Stephen. F. Rogers source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1915 1915 Mrs. Amelia Chinn source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1910 1910 Patrick McGrath source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1905 1905 McGrath M. J. and Mrs. C. Waters and Mrs. J. Leslie source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1900 1900 Francis and Kate Maria Mitchell source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1890 1895 William Niebour source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1879 Wilfred B. Atkinson http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article219423485 source: The Weekly Times 1879

Social History

1910 The Argus.

46, 48 and 50 Chetwynd Street, [West Melbourne]. Three really superior brick houses, of 7 rooms [each].

source: The Argus


1910 The Age.

Nos 46, 48, 50 CHETWYND-STREET close to Victoria-street.-Three solidly constructed brick houses, cement fronts, two containing 7 rooms and one 6 rooms, with baths and coppers, &c.
This is an exceptionally good terrace standing well back and high up from the street, front fence, iron railing on 4 ft. of bluestone with a well grown hedge, tiled entrance paths and verandahs, airy lofty, well lighted and conveniently planned rooms all on ground floor, except two of the houses, which each have a second story in the centre of the building of two rooms. Absolutely the best position in the district and opposite one of the City Council’s plantations.

source: The Age


1900 North Melbourne Courier.

DEATH OF MR. FRANK S. MITCHELL.
Our readers will have heard with regret here this of the death of the above gentleman, the sad event transpiring at his residence, 46 Chetwynd-street, West
Melbourne, on Thursday, 22nd inst., at 1 p.m. Mr. Mitchell had been ailing for nine months previous to his death and at times suffered intense pain which
he bore with great fortitude. The deceased leaves a wife and five children to mourn their great loss, and it is needless to say that great sympathy is felt for the bereaved family. The funeral took place on Friday afternoon and was largely attended, and numerous beautiful wreaths were forwarded, among them being one from the North Melbourne Football Club. The interment took place in the Church of England compartment of the Melbourne General Cemetery, the pall-bearers being Messrs. J. Travis und R. Tuffield (Government Printing Office), M. Fitzgerald and W.
Dedman (Victorian Football Association), G. Duncan, P. Corrigan, A. J. Woodham and G. Stewart (N.M.F.C.)
By the death of Mr. Mitchell one of the most earnest and whole-souled supporters of sport in the colonies has passed away, who at all times made it chief endeavor to keep up a high standard of morality in connection with any of the branches of sport he took an interest. Of a retiring disposition, he never stood out prominently before the public, preferring to give the benefit of his advice and energy in in unobtrusive but painstaking manner. Not only at the council-board of the different sporting bodies did his opinions, born of long experience prevail, but circulated in a far larger sphere by means of the sporting press, the writers of which always found a agreeable and well-informed authority on all matters pertaining to anything of a sporting nature, and many valuable suggestions and opinions which appeared from time in our newspapers emanated from his fertile brain. Although not a regular contributor to the press, the deceased gentleman, under the nom deplumes of “Myrton” and “Sandford,”
wrote the splendid articles on cricket and football which appeared in the Courier in ’96 97, and as “Bunyip” in one of the Adelaide papers. Originally a Victorian, he went to South Australia some years ago to take up a position in the Government Printing Office, and became secretary to one the leading clubs, visiting Victoria as manager of a team. Returning to take up a similar position in this colony he threw in his lot with North Melbourne cricket and football clubs, being secretary of both and representing the litter on the Victorian Football Association. On his retirement from the delegateship, the V.F.A., desiring to retain his services, elected him a life member of that body, in appreciation of the valuable services rendered by him – a fitting recognition of along and useful career.

source: North Melbourne Courier


1879 The Weekly Times.

ATKINSON.—On the 23rd June, at 30 Chetwynd street, West Melbourne, the wife of Wilfred B. Atkinson, of a son.

source: The Weekly Times



Context and Streetscape

Precinct

This property resides within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
source: https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/history-city-of-melbourne.pdf
historical map source: https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/search-discover/explore-collections-format/maps/maps-melbourne-city-suburbs

Zoning
This information must be verified with the relevant planning or heritage authority.

Streetscape

Chetwynd Street was once predominantly a residential street with single and two storey Victorian terrace dwellings, two churches, a school and two hotels known as the Queens Arms and the Star of Hotham.

The Chetwynd streetscape today is characterised by a mix of multi-storey blocks of public flats, some modern commercial/industrial buildings, an ambulance depot, and a school.

In 2021, only fifty of the original one hundred and twenty-nine Victorian heritage dwellings once found on this street remain, compared to the 1895 Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works map.

Other Information

Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.

If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email info@hothamhistory.org.au