|Also known as|
|Architect||Michael Corcoran – storekeeper – Elizabeth St|
Timelapse Building Images
Photo shows building known as 488-494 Latrobe Street.
- 1895 MMBW plan
- Compiled Crown Record Plan showing Mr. Michael Corcoran was the first Crown land purchaser of this site in 1850.
Notice of intent to build.
Number: 507. Date 9/12/1850
Owner & Builder: Michael Corcoran – storekeeper – Elizabeth St
Type: House six large rooms, kitchen, panrty and shed with neat flower garden in front.
Other significant building works carried out by Michael Corcoran below:
|76183||Corcoran, Michael – storekeeper – Elizabeth St||Melbourne||VIC||Houses||Corcoran, Michael||1850 12 9||507|
|76254||Corcoran, Michael||Melbourne||VIC||Warehouses||Corcoran, Michael – Little Lonsdale St||1854 09 8||1607|
|76940||Corcoran, Michael – Latrobe St||Melbourne||VIC||Houses||Corcoran, Michael||1857 03 19||214|
Subsequent Building Alterations
Edward J. and Samuel Spink workshop, also J. B. Watson’s stores, later
Molloy and Co, hide and skin merchants.
Street: Latrobe Street west of King
Architect: Thomas Watts
Builder: Kay Noble of Erin Street Richmond
Owner: Spink Brothers, wholesale and retail tinsmiths, jam and fruit preservers of Melbourne.
Type: Factory store
Other significant building works carried out by Kay Noble below:
|Architects||Owner||Suburb||Building Type||Builder||Build Date (YYYY MM DD)||Reg #|
|Webster||East Melbourne||Houses||Noble, Kay – 41 Berkley St Carlton||1869 05 28||3253|
|Noble, Kay||East Melbourne||Houses||Noble, Kay||1876 10 25||6972|
|Reed & Barnes||Mowbray, Rowan & Hicks||Melbourne||Shops; Warehouses||Noble, Kay – Erin St Richmond||1880 05 29||8377|
|Watts, –||Campbell & Box||Melbourne||Sports Buildings||Noble, Kay – Erin St Richmond||1881 09 3||8908|
|Watts, Thomas||Spink Bros||Latrobe Street Melbourne||Factories||Noble, Kay – Erin St Richmond||1882 07 17||9285|
|Henderson & Smart – Collins St east||McCracken, R & Co||Melbourne||Buildings||Noble, Kay – Erin St Richmond||1882 10 14||29|
|Noble, Kay||East Melbourne||Houses||Noble, Kay – Erin St Richmond||1883 01 29||153|
|Noble, Kay||East Melbourne||Houses||Noble, Kay – Erin St Richmond||1883 06 21||351|
|Williams, Frank||Australian Widows Fund Assurance Society||Melbourne||Buildings||Noble, Kay – Erin St Richmond||1884 08 14||1027|
|Twentyman & Askew||Benjamin, L||Melbourne||Warehouses||Noble, Kay – Erin St Richmond||1885 05 23||1535|
|Gale, –||Nicholas & Hicks||Melbourne||Houses; Shops||Noble, Kay – Erin St Richmond||1885 11 25||1866|
|Wight & Lucas||Coffee Tavern Co||Melbourne||Shops||Noble, Kay – Erin St Richmond||1886 03 27||2088|
|Reed, Henderson & Smart||Petty, (late) W – Trustees||Melbourne||Office Buildings; Shops||Noble, Kay – Erin St Richmond||1886 05 17||2173|
|Wight & Lucas||Coffee Tavern Co||Melbourne||Shops||Noble, Kay – Erin St Richmond||1886 06 22||2240|
|Wormal, D||Freehold Investment & Banking Co||Melbourne||Banks; Hotels; Office Buildings; Shops||Noble, Kay – Erin St Richmond||1887 03 25||2711|
source: Burchett Index
Heritage Significance and Listings
|Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes|
Statement of Significance
What is significant?
Builder Kay Noble of Erin Street Richmond erected this factory-workshop in 1882 for the Spink Brothers, wholesale and retail tinsmiths, jam and fruit preservers of Melbourne. Noted architect, Thomas Watts, was the designer. The Spink Brothers’ tin works was at this address and their preserving works at La Trobe Street East. By 1890, Edward John Spink and Samuel Spink were declared insolvent due to Insufficient capital, arising from having sold goods too cheaply to compete; Samuel was dead by 1897. The JB Watson Trust and later Joseph W Ellis were the next major owners, leasing the building to firms such as Sass and Cockram.
The complex has developed over time with the 1895 plan showing the probable 1880s extent. Now the building extends further into the block with new fibre cement sheet clad sawtooth roofing abutting and replacing the original roofline, possibly for use by Molloy and Co, hide and skin merchants or C. N. Meyers, paper merchants.
The architect Thomas Watts was responsible for a number of large Victorian-era commercial projects including part of Felton Grimwade and Company’s early chemical works, West Melbourne, and the now demolished Robb’s Building (similar elevation to this building). The firm has a number of places listed on the Victorian Heritage Register and some 269 entries in the Australian Architecture Index.
Victorian Heritage Register examples associated with Watts include:
This building was identified in the Central Activities District (CAD) Conservation Study of 1985, with the note that it possessed `high integrity for type and scale in the CAD’. This integrity has been reduced since.
Contributory elements include:
• double-hung sash windows to upper level with cemented architraves;
Changes to ground level as above, former lobby door entry changed since 1985; bricks painted over east side wall, openings and loading doors changed. Sawtooth wall and roofing added.
How is it significant?
Edward J and Samuel Spink’s tinsmith workshop is significant historically and aesthetically to West Melbourne.
Why is it significant?
Edward J. and Samuel Spink’s tinsmith workshop is significant.
source: Melbourne Planning Scheme, West Melbourne Heritage Review 2016. An incorporated document in the Melbourne planning Scheme pursuant to
|From||To||Owner||More Info||Data Source|
|to date||Private||source: Hatcher Index|
|1882||Edward J. and Samuel Spink, tinsmiths and fruit preservers||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher in 2020|
|1850||Mr. Michael Corcoran, first Crown land purchaser||source: Hatcher Index|
|abt 40 thousand years earlier||1835||Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria||source: Hatcher Index|
|From||To||Resident||More Info||Data Source|
|to date||Private||source Hatcher Index|
|1929||1933||C.N. Meyers, paper merch||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher in 2020|
|1910||1928||Molloy & Co., skin & hides||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher in 2020|
|1905||1909||McDonald & Molloy, hide and skins||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher in 2020|
|1903||1904||George Synnot, skin merch||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher in 2020|
|1899||1900||F. Edmondson, bag maker||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher in 2020|
|1897||1898||Richard Haworth & Fred Edmondson||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher in 2020|
|1885||1885||Edward J. and Samuel Spink, tinsmiths and fruit preservers||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher in 2020|
Context and Streetscape
This property resides within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
The controls listed below affect this property:
Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.
If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email email@example.com