|Also known as|
|Previous Address||52-50 Provost Street||Source: from the 1895 MMBW map|
Timelapse Building Images
- 1895 MMBW map
- Compiled Crown Record Plan
- The Argus, 1854 Government Land Sale, Mr. T. Fulton and others, first Crown land purchasers
Subsequent Building Alterations
Heritage Significance and Listings
|Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes|
The desirable pair of Victorian era terrace dwellings with their own large private back yard garden that once existed on this site was demolished and replaced by a single storey brick Edwardian workshop.
|From||To||Owner||More Info||Data Source|
|to date||Private||source: Hatcher Index|
|1854||Mr. T. Fulton and others, first Crown land purchasers||source: Hatcher Index|
|abt 40 thousand years earlier||1835||Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria||source: Hatcher Index|
|From||To||Resident||More Info||Data Source|
|to date||Private||source Hatcher Index|
|1974||1974||G. Shepherd P/L||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.|
|1970||1970||not available||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.|
|1955||1965||Don Auto Wreckers||http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article224447591||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.|
|1914||Regia Manufacturing Company||http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article10803946||source: The Argus|
|1890||1890||Mrs. Julia Feeney||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.|
|1889||1889||Mrs. Alice Miller||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.|
1914 The Argus
source: The Argus
Context and Streetscape
This property sits within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
This information must be verified with the relevant planning or heritage authority.
Provost Street was once predominantly a residential street with single and two storey Victorian terrace dwellings, a green grocer shop, butcher shop, pork purveyors, a dairy, a confectioner, dressmaker, bootmaker shop, horse livery, wood yard, cabies, a Coach builder and hotels at either end known as the North Star Hotel at Abbotsford Street corner and Commercial Hotel on the Curzon Street corner.
Provost streetscape today is characterised by significantly less heritage dwellings, an addition of some contemporary multi-storey townhouses, and some 1940s to 1960s industrial buildings.
In 2022, only seventeen of the original forty seven heritage buildings remain (64% destroyed) which once existed on Provost street, compared to an 1895 Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works map.
As of 2022, some addresses on this street’s density level has been allowed to rise by four to five times larger, due to recent increase in council approved multi-level building redevelopments since 1895. In some cases, unrestricted increases in density can be detrimental to existing residents enjoyment of amenity and quality of life.
Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.
If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email firstname.lastname@example.org