55 Chetwynd Street

55 Chetwynd Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
photographer: Stephen Hatcher 2021

Also known as
Previous Address 55 was also known as 7 and 9 Chetwynd Street, Hotham before street renumbering. Source: from the 1895 MMBW map
Constructed (1st) tba (2nd) 28/9/1911
Style
Architect (2nd) E. H. Wills
Builder (1st) tba (2nd) James H. Sprott, 17 Davies St. Brunswick

Timelapse Building Images

No Entries Found

Land Details

  1. 1895 MMBW Map
  2. Compiled Crown Record Plan

Building Details

The first Victorian era dwelling built on this site was demolished and replaced by the current shop and dwelling in 1911.


Subsequent Building Alterations

Notice of Intention to Build.

Number: 2908

Date: 28/9/1911

Street: Chetwynd Street

Owner: Joseph Fabbri

Builder: James H. Sprott, 17 Davies St. Brunswick

Type: Brick shop and dwelling [with its own private back garden]

Fee: £2.10.0

Burchett Index

Architectural Features



    No Entries Found


Heritage Significance and Listings

Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes

Owners

From To Owner More Info Data Source
to date Private source: Hatcher Index
Mr. G. Evans, first Crown land purchaser source: Hatcher Index
abt 40 thousand years earlier 1835 Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria source: Hatcher Index

Residents

From To Resident More Info Data Source
to date Private source Hatcher Index
1974 1974 M.G.F. Investments P/L AND Smacka’s Place Restaurant source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1940 1970 G. Rametta (wine saloon) source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1935 1935 L. Colbertaldo (wine saloon) source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1930 1930 R. Gaetano AND D. Carderi (wine merchant) source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1925 1925 D. Carderi (wine merchant) source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1915 1920 Fabbri & Gardini (wine merchants) AND B. Gardini http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article242731867 source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1910 1910 John Brown source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1905 1905 Mrs. M. Scott (dressmaker) source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1900 1900 Charles Malborn source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1895 1895 John Johnson source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1890 1890 Charles Reed source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.

Social History

1918 The Argus.

BEQUESTS TO HOSPITALS.
Joseph Fabbri late of West Melbourne he will lodged for probate bequeathing the sum of £20 to each of the following institutions, the residue of his estate being left to relatives:- Melbourne Hospital, Lonsdale-street Melbourne; Alfred Hospital, Commercial road, Prahran; Eye and Ear Hospital, Victoria parade East Melbourne; Women’s Hospital, Madeline street, Carlton; Foundling Hospital and Infants Home, Berry street East Melbourne; and St. Vincent’s Hospital, Victoria parade, Fitzroy.

source: The Argus


1918 The Herald.

FABBRI. — On the 13th August, at private hospital, East Melbourne, Joseph Fabbri, of 47 Hawke street, West Melbourne, and No. 7 Chetwynd street, North Melbourne, aged 69 years.

source: The Herald



Context and Streetscape

Precinct

This property resides within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
source: https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/history-city-of-melbourne.pdf
historical map source: https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/search-discover/explore-collections-format/maps/maps-melbourne-city-suburbs

Zoning
This information must be verified with the relevant planning or heritage authority.

Streetscape

Chetwynd Street was once predominantly a residential street with single and two storey Victorian terrace dwellings, two churches, a school and two hotels known as the Queens Arms and the Star of Hotham.

The Chetwynd streetscape today is characterised by a mix of multi-storey blocks of public flats, some modern commercial/industrial buildings, an ambulance depot, and a school.

In 2021, only fifty of the original one hundred and twenty-nine Victorian heritage dwellings once found on this street remain, compared to the 1895 Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works map.

Other Information

Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.

If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email info@hothamhistory.org.au