56 Chetwynd Street

56 Chetwynd Street
West Melbourne VIC 3003
photographer: Stephen Hatcher 2021

Also known as
Previous Address 56 was also known as 36 Chetwynd Street, Hotham before street renumbering. Source: from the 1895 MMBW map
Constructed (1st) 2/2/1866 (2nd) tba
Style
Architect
Builder (1) James Lee (2) unknown

Timelapse Building Images

No Entries Found

Land Details

  1. 1895 MMBW map
  2. 1859 The Argus, Crown land sale

Building Details

Notice of Intention to Build.

Number: 1312

Date : 2/2/1866

Street: Chetwynd Street

Owner/Builder: James Lee, 37 Provost Street, Hotham

Type: Wooden cottage [with its own private back garden]

Fee: £1.0.0

source: Burchett Index


Subsequent Building Alterations

James Lee’s family home was demolished and replaced by the existing three story office building in 1990.

source: City of Melbourne

Architectural Features



    No Entries Found


Heritage Significance and Listings

Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes

The desirable and architecturally designed Victorian era family home with its own private garden that once existed on this site was demolished and replaced by 3 storey brick office building built in 1990.

Owners

From To Owner More Info Data Source
to date Private source: Hatcher Index
1859 Mr. Moses Moss, first Crown land purchaser source: Hatcher Index
abt 40 thousand years earlier 1835 Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria source: Hatcher Index

Residents

From To Resident More Info Data Source
to date Private source Hatcher Index
1974 1974 Andrews Bros P/L textiles source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1965 1965 D. Tedesco source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1955 1955 Joseph Caia source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1950 1950 V. Muratore source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1940 1945 Mrs. Caroline Gault source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1930 1940 William Gault source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1920 1925 George Gleeson source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1915 1915 William Whitcher source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1910 1910 William McGeorge source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1905 1905 Mrs. I. Lamb source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1890 1900 Alexander McKenzie source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1867 1885 James Lee (architect) source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.

Social History

Architect James Lee was born in 1834, the son of Jeremiah Lee and Sarah Brasiyer. James married Harriett Hills before 1856. Harriett was the daughter of John and Mary Hills.

Harriett Lee gave birth to their only child named, Emily Jane Lee, in 1856.

James and Harriett Lee settled in at Chetwynd Street, West Melbourne in the late 1860s.

Their daughter Emily Jane Lee married Frederick Frewin in Melbourne in 1882.

source: Births Deaths and Marriages Victoria



Context and Streetscape

Precinct

This property resides within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
source: https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/history-city-of-melbourne.pdf
historical map source: https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/search-discover/explore-collections-format/maps/maps-melbourne-city-suburbs

Zoning
This information must be verified with the relevant planning or heritage authority.

Streetscape

Chetwynd Street was once predominantly a residential street with single and two storey Victorian terrace dwellings, two churches, a school and two hotels known as the Queens Arms and the Star of Hotham.

The Chetwynd streetscape today is characterised by a mix of multi-storey blocks of public flats, some modern commercial/industrial buildings, an ambulance depot, and a school.

In 2021, only fifty of the original one hundred and twenty-nine Victorian heritage dwellings once found on this street remain, compared to the 1895 Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works map.

Other Information

[93]

Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.

If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email info@hothamhistory.org.au