62 Chetwynd Street

62 Chetwynd Street
West Melbourne VIC 3003
photographer: Stephen Hatcher 2021

Also known as Cairngorm Terrace Source: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article60622089
Previous Address 62 was also known as 40 Chetwynd Street, West Melbourne before street renumbering. Source: source: Sands & McDougall directory
Constructed 13/9/1884
Style Victorian, Late: 1875-1901
Architect William Pitt
Builder James Amess, 47 Dryburgh St, Hotham

Timelapse Building Images

2004

source: http://maps.melbourne.vic.gov.au/


Land Details

  1. 1895 MMBW map
  2. 1859 The Argus, Crown land sale
  3. Compiled Crown Record Plan

Building Details

Notice of Intention to Build.

Number: 1082

Date : 13/9/1884

Street: Chetwynd Street

Architect: William Pitt

Owner: T. B. [James] Spence

Builder: James Amess, 47 Dryburgh St, Hotham

Type: Two cottages [with their own private back gardens]

Fee: £3.10.0

Architects Owner Suburb Building Type Builder Build Date (YYYY MM DD) Reg #
McIlroy, J Capel Street, West Melbourne Houses; Shops Amess, James – 47 Dryburgh st 1886 10 27 2502
Pitt, W Spence, T B Chetwynd Street, West Melbourne Houses Amess, James – 47 Dryburgh St Hotham 1884 09 13 1082

source: Burchett Index


Subsequent Building Alterations

No Entries Found

Architectural Features




  • Windows
    Glass

    photographer Sue Scarfe



Heritage Significance and Listings

Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes

What is significant?
James Brown Spence who ran a successful confectionery business in Victoria Street, North Melbourne, commissioned local contractor, James Amess of Dryburgh Street, to build two cottages (62-64 Chetwynd Street) to the south of another less decorated cottage he owned (66) in 1884-5, uniting the three with a similar front fence design. Spence lived at 66 Chetwynd Street over a long period, until his death in 1931, aged 82. The house at 66 Chetwynd Street is thought to have been built for Latham by Robert Duguid in 1870-1 and later owned by chemist Charles Atkin and finally purchased by Spence around 1883. Spence’s architect for the pair at 62-64 Chetwynd Street was the renowned William Pitt.

How is it significant?
Spence’s row houses are significant historically (62-66) to West Melbourne and aesthetically (62-64) to West Melbourne and the City of Melbourne.

Why is it significant?
Spence’s row houses are significant.
-Aesthetically, the pair (62-64) was designed by the distinguished architect, William Pitt (of the Rialto and Olderfleet, Collins Street fame). The pair represents an original example of the low number of small residential commissions known from Pitt’s hand and reflects his skill in the use of the elevated site and the dividing garden wall to direct attention to the central parapet pediment. It is an unusually sited row house pair (above and distant from the street) with uncommon original elements such as the balustrade; and
-Historically, (62-66), for the association with Spence who ran a successful local business and was prominent in West Melbourne and Hotham civic affairs and as another example of small developments by local residents, alongside their homes.

source: West Melbourne Heritage Review by Graeme Butler & Associates 2015.

Owners

From To Owner More Info Data Source
to date Private source: Hatcher Index
1859 Mr. Alexander Campbell, first Crown land purchaser source: Hatcher Index
abt 40 thousand years earlier 1835 Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria source: Hatcher Index

Residents

From To Resident More Info Data Source
to date Private source Hatcher Index
1965 1974 Mrs. G. Green source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1950 1960 Leslie R. McIntyre source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1945 1945 Joseph Rutter source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1940 1940 Albert E. Killey source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1935 1935 John T. Smith source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1925 1930 Alexander Anderson source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1920 1920 Michael J. Cahill source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1910 1915 Albert E. Herbert source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1905 1905 Henry W. Ireland source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1900 1900 Rev. K. Hultmark (Minister Scandinavian Lutheran Church) source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1895 1895 Mrs. Isabella Robinson source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1890 1890 Herr G. S. De Chanéet (music teacher) source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.
1889 George Charneete source: Rate Book Records, VPRS5708 Bourke Ward, Chetwynd St.

Social History

HERR G. S. de CHANEET,
Member of the Society of Musicians of Australasian,
PROFESSOR of MUSIC, PIANO, ORGAN and SINGING.
“Cairngorm,” 62 Chetwynd-street, West Melbourne.

source: Illustrated Australian News and Music Times



Context and Streetscape

Precinct

This property resides within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
source: https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/history-city-of-melbourne.pdf
historical map source: https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/search-discover/explore-collections-format/maps/maps-melbourne-city-suburbs

Zoning
This information must be verified with the relevant planning or heritage authority.

Streetscape

Chetwynd Street was once predominantly a residential street with single and two storey Victorian terrace dwellings, two churches, a school and two hotels known as the Queens Arms and the Star of Hotham.

The Chetwynd streetscape today is characterised by a mix of multi-storey blocks of public flats, some modern commercial/industrial buildings, an ambulance depot, and a school.

In 2021, only fifty of the original one hundred and twenty-nine Victorian heritage dwellings once found on this street remain, compared to the 1895 Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works map.

Other Information

[93]

Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.

If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email info@hothamhistory.org.au