|Also known as||Cairnlieth Terrace||Source: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article198176853|
|Previous Address||64 was also known as 42 Chetwynd Street, West Melbourne before street renumbering.||Source: source: Sands & McDougall directory|
|Builder||James Amess, 47 Dryburgh St, Hotham|
Timelapse Building Images
Notice of Intention to Build.
Date : 13/9/1884
Street: Chetwynd Street
Architect: William Pitt
Owner: T. B. [James] Spence
Builder: James Amess, 47 Dryburgh St, Hotham
Type: Two cottages [with their own private back gardens]
|Architects||Owner||Suburb||Building Type||Builder||Build Date (YYYY MM DD)||Reg #|
|McIlroy, J||Capel Street, West Melbourne||Houses; Shops||Amess, James – 47 Dryburgh st||1886 10 27||2502|
|Pitt, W||Spence, T B||Chetwynd Street, West Melbourne||Houses||Amess, James – 47 Dryburgh St Hotham||1884 09 13||1082|
source: Burchett Index
Subsequent Building Alterations
Heritage Significance and Listings
|Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes|
62-64 Chetwynd Street were designed by the renowned architect William Pitt.
Contributory elements include:
-entry with side and top lights; and
The three houses (62-66 Chetwynd Street) are sited high on an embankment and well back from the street but a are a relatively isolated trio from the mainstream Victorian and Edwardian-era streetscape.
source: West Melbourne Heritage Review by Graeme Butler & Associates 2015.
|From||To||Owner||More Info||Data Source|
|to date||Private||source: Hatcher Index|
|1859||Mr. Alexander Campbell, first Crown land purchaser||source: Hatcher Index|
|abt 40 thousand years earlier||1835||Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation||https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria||source: Hatcher Index|
|From||To||Resident||More Info||Data Source|
|to date||Private||source Hatcher Index|
|1925||1974||Francis G. Calway and Mrs. Florence Calway||http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11369921||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1920||1920||Alfred E. Day||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1915||1915||Douglas Laird||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1910||1910||John Jones||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1905||1905||Miss. Laby||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1900||1900||Charles Clark Armstrong||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1895||1895||Mrs. Alice Matthewson||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1890||1890||Charles E. Hirst||source: Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Lindsay Thomas in 2020.|
|1889||William Hint||source: Rate Book Records, VPRS5708 Bourke Ward, Chetwynd St.|
1900 Melbourne Leader.
source: Melbourne Leader
Context and Streetscape
This property resides within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
This information must be verified with the relevant planning or heritage authority.
Chetwynd Street was once predominantly a residential street with single and two storey Victorian terrace dwellings, two churches, a school and two hotels known as the Queens Arms and the Star of Hotham.
The Chetwynd streetscape today is characterised by a mix of multi-storey blocks of public flats, some modern commercial/industrial buildings, an ambulance depot, and a school.
In 2021, only fifty of the original one hundred and twenty-nine Victorian heritage dwellings once found on this street remain, compared to the 1895 Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works map.
Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.
If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email firstname.lastname@example.org