67 Hawke Street

67 Hawke Street
West Melbourne VIC 3003
photographer: Stephen Hatcher, 2019

Also known as
Previous Address
Constructed (1st) 14/1/1907. (2nd) after 1970
Style
Architect
Builder Henry Gill, 351 Bank Street, South Melbourne

Timelapse Building Images

2019

The Radio Parts site originally contained 12 Victorian era terrace homes.

Photographer Stephen Hatcher


Land Details

Building Details

Notice of intent to build.

Street: Hawke Street

Number: 314.

Date: 14/1/1907

Owner: John L. Angwin

Builder: Henry Gill, 351 Bank Street, South Melbourne

Fee: £ 1.15.0

Type: Brick villa [with a private back yard garden]

Burchett Index


Subsequent Building Alterations

Purpose for the building application #14489: Garage

Contract amount £47

Owner J W Hill, 67 Hawke Street West Melbourne

Master Builder: L J Owen, 15 Kalimna St Essendon (Owen was also the builter of 355 Victoria Street West Melbourne for Messers W. B. Simpson, the Methodist Church at Hawthorn, the Camberwell Fire Station and a Sunday School Hall in McCracken Street Kensington)

PROV

Proposed Brick Garage for J W Hill Esq at 67 Hawke Street West Melbourne drawn by the builder Owen in 1933.

PROV

Architectural Features



    No Entries Found


Heritage Significance and Listings

Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes

The 1907 Federation style family home built by Henry Gill for John L. Angwin was demolished after 1970.

Owners

From To Owner More Info Data Source
1969 Radio Parts P/L Hatcher Index
1951 1968 Melbourne Metropolitan Board of Works Hatcher Index
1925 1950 Florence Hill Hatcher Index
1910 1924 John L Angwin (estate) Hatcher Index
1908 1909 John L Angwin Hatcher Index
1897 1907 vacant land Hatcher Index
1896 1896 Premier Building Society (vacant land) Hatcher Index
1853 1894 John Allison and Knight, first Crown land purchasers Hatcher Index
abt 40 thousand years earlier 1835 Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria Hatcher Index

Residents

From To Resident More Info Data Source
1969 1969 vacant Hatcher Index
1965 1968 Harold Henry Fair Hatcher Index
1951 1964 Walter John Kennedy Hatcher Index
1950 1950 Florence Hill Hatcher Index
1926 1949 Mr John W Hill & Mrs Florence Hill Hatcher Index
1919 1925 Mrs Harriet Scott Hatcher Index
1918 1918 Mr CHarles Jones Hatcher Index
1915 1917 Mr George Hogg Hatcher Index
1914 1914 vacant Hatcher Index
1913 1913 Mr Arthur H Fox Hatcher Index
1910 1912 Mr Charles Fox Hatcher Index
1909 1909 vacant Hatcher Index
1908 1908 Mr George Slattery Hatcher Index
1835 1907 vacant land Hatcher Index

Social History

The Herald 1950

67 Hawke Street, West Melbourne.

Attractive Brick Villa, 5 rooms, brick garage, telephone and side entrance.

The Herald 18/10/1950 pg 6


1940. Miss Evelyn Florence Hill of 67 Hawke Street West Melbourne.


1940. Miss Evelyn Florence Hill of 67 Hawke Street West Melbourne.


1875. Mr W Hill of 67 Hawke Street West Melbourne.



Context and Streetscape

Precinct

This property is located within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
source: https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/history-city-of-melbourne.pdf
historical map source: https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/search-discover/explore-collections-format/maps/maps-melbourne-city-suburbs

Streetscape

Hawke Street and the surrounding streetscapes in part, were indirectly influenced by news about the discovery of Gold by Dunlop and Regan in Victoria at Poverty Point, Ballarat in 1851. News of that find led to a great influx of migrants arriving in old Melbourne, seeking fortune and a better life, but housing in old Melbourne was in short supply. The sheer volume of arrivals led to pressure on authorities to expand the size of the colonial settlement, described by Albert Mattingley in his recollections of The Early History of North Melbourne, in 1916.

In 1852, government surveyor Charles Laing’s ‘Plan of the City of Melbourne and its Extension Northwards’ helped alleviate dramatically the pressure for more housing.

Vacant building allotments were pegged, surveyed, and allocated for sale towards the north, on La-Trobe, Adderley, Jeffcott, Spencer, Batman, King, Dudley, Rosslyn, Stanley, Roden and Hawke Street. Blocks of land were auctioned, with Hawke Street land first offered for sale in May, 1853.

By October 1853, W.M. Tennent wrote in the Argus newspaper:

 “Hawke Street is most desirably situated, is in a most healthy and elevated position and commands extensive views of the shipping in the bay and of all surrounding districts”

The race to be the first to have an influence on Hawke streetscape was won in July 1853 by Scotsman, Colin Campbell, who created two stone and brick rendered dwellings and a timber workshop at 19, 21 and 23 Hawke. He was quickly followed a week later by Thomas Stevens who built four wooden cottages on the corner of Hawke and King Streets. Steven’s wooden dwellings were later replaced in 1920 by S. J. Marshall’s architect- designed pharmaceutical laboratory while Campbell’s buildings were demolished in 1972 when the three-storey red brick Miami hotel was created in their place.

In the 1890s, the Hawke residential streetscape began to slowly change with the introduction of industry. The largest of the early industrial buildings that had moved out of Melbourne’s CBD, made its new home on the corner of Hawke and Adderley Streets.  It was designed by architects Oakden, Addison & Kemp and built in 1889 by John Dunton for Brisco & Co. who were cast iron merchants of Elizabeth Street Melbourne.

At the most southern end, an 1868 resident and engineer, Gideon James, and his wife Catherine, once lived at 207 Hawke while Gideon operated the Avon Tool Works business located next door at 199 Hawke until 1909. Their double- fronted Victorian home and garden and nearby workshop both were demolished in the 1920s and replaced by a two-storey red brick industrial building that has since been converted into 12 townhouses.

The southern end of the Hawke streetscape in the late 1860s was also home to a handful of important greengrocer and butcher shops. Among their owners were names such as James Ibbetson, William Wood, and Mrs. Mary Ann Smith.

In 1881, the streetscape continued to change with the arrival of Miss. J. Hutchinson’s mantle & underclothing factory at 96 Hawke, and Francis Gillman, who lived and operated a boot factory at 62 Hawke. The streetscape continued evolving when both Victorian period homes and workshops were demolished and replaced Number 96 is now a park and number 62 is a modern red and cream brick construction built in the 1980s.

Following World War Two, the Hawke streetscape received a rush of extra industrial buildings, from the Spencer Street corner southwards. These factories made all manner of items from electric batteries to spark plugs and baby carriages, marketed nationwide.

In 1895, the street contained 89 Victorian era dwellings. Seven Federation dwellings followed soon after. As of 2022, Hawke Street has lost 43 heritage dwellings, removed from its streetscape forever.

Without stronger heritage protection laws, by the year 2150, the number of heritage dwellings in this streetscape potentially could face total obliteration.

The remaining historic dwellings on Hawke Street are important to the area because they are socially and historically significant buildings that retain private back yard gardens and they relate directly to the early development of West Melbourne.

The Hawke streetscape today contains a collection of outstanding Victorian and Federation dwellings, which are a particularly well-preserved group from important architectural periods in time. These dwellings are interspersed by some industrial buildings, with two early hotels predominantly on the southern side south of the Hawke and Spencer Street intersection.

The North and West Melbourne Precinct is of historical, social, and aesthetic/architectural significance to the local residents and to the City of Melbourne. It is of historical significance, as a predominantly Victorian-era precinct associated with the nineteenth century growth of Melbourne to its north and west.

The residents living in the heritage dwellings along the streetscape are impacted by a push to increase residential density through conversions of the two to three storey red brick industrial buildings into six to eight story blocks of flats, blocks that offer little or no onsite car parking or onsite garden space.

It is imperative existing heritage regulations within the wider built environment be strengthened and laws be strictly followed. All development that occurs in future on Hawke Street ought to be architecturally respectful of the existing style, low scale heights and the hand-crafted materials utilised in keeping with the historic style.

Some might say the residents of Hawke Street and the surrounding streets of greater Melbourne owe a debt of gratitude to the wise Victorian settlers who created the beautiful terrace homes found along these streetscapes of today.

Other Information

[93]

Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.

If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email info@hothamhistory.org.au