72 Leveson Street

72 Leveson Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
image source: Victorian Heritage by E. Graeme Robertson 1974
Also known as J. & T. Muir Iron Foundry Source: source: Victorian Heritage by E. Graeme Robertson 1974
Previous Address
Constructed
Style
Architect
Builder

Timelapse Building Images

1940s

“A wooden pattern, for a finial (cast about 1670) is posed in the foundry yard of J. & T. Muir Pty Ltd in North Melbourne.
Stacks of pig iron are seen in the background, in front of the dark two-storey lean-to which leads to the furnace in which the pig iron is melted prior to casting.
The modern cast iron pipes which are produced at the foundry are seen nearer the foreground”

source: Victorian Heritage by E. Graeme Robertson 1974.

image source: Victorian Heritage by E. Graeme Robertson 1974

1940s

“A delicately carved pattern, of Kauri pine, for a ventilator cover, photographed in one of the vast rooms of Muir’s foundry.
Stacks of “boxes” of various sizes, fitted with handles for lifting, and register pegs, are seen in the background.
Heaps of sand, blackened by plumbago, to be used for making moulds may be discerned over, and on the rightside of, the pattern.
Against the wall are ranged castings, of various designs”

source: Victorian Heritage by E. Graeme Robertson 1974.

image source: Victorian Heritage by E. Graeme Robertson 1974

“This woodcut shows the long boxes containing the patterns and cores, the making of cores (or internalpatterns) which after removal leave the hollow centre, the filling of buckets with molten iron, pourning the iron into moulds, cutting the ends of the casting, testing it, and dipping it into molten pitch”

source: Victorian Heritage by E. Graeme Robertson 1974.

image source: Victorian Heritage by E. Graeme Robertson 1974

Land Details

  1. Original Iron Foundry area now covered by a block of flats.
  2. 1895 MMBW map
  3. Compiled Crown Record Plan showing first Crown land purchaser was Mr. W. Fox.

Building Details

No Entries Found

Subsequent Building Alterations

Building Details: A single storey brick warehouse/workshop. Built around 1970. Demolished late 2013 and replaced by 96 Unit Apartment complex (with associated carparking and storage) completed in 2015.

This property contains 96 residential properties. Primary landuse: Residential Accommodation. Site Area: 2723 m2

Under S18 and S18A of the Sudbdivision Act 1988 and previous Acts, Council may require a contribution of land and/or money to be paid.

  • PLAN OF SUBDIVISION NO. PS702794U
    The contribution type is Money, the contribution is 4% and the amount of $272,000 was paid on 3 Nov 2014.
    The status is Paid/Satisfied.

    The application number is TP-2011-871.
    Certification number is SA-2011-120, 68-82 Leveson Street, NORTH MELBOURNE VIC 3051.

source: City of Melbourne

Architectural Features

    No Entries Found

Heritage Significance and Listings

Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes

Owners

No Entries Found

Residents

No Entries Found

Social History

1949 Foundry Is Closing.

Because they have no stocks of pig-iron, the firm of J. and T. Muir Pty. Ltd., founders and engineers, of Melbourne, will close down next week.
This firm supplies the Melbourne and Metropolitan Board of Works with water fittings, the Housing Commission with sewerage fittings, and other fit tings to gas companies. Twenty moulders will finish tomorrow night and moulders’
assistants and finishers and dressers next week. They are, now employed in cleaning up the foundry.

source: The Herald


1927 The Importing Craze.

Money Better Spent Here.
Some surprising figures were quoted by Mr. V. L. Ginn in a lunch-hour address
yesterday at the establishment of J. and T. Muir, Leveson-street, North Melbourne, to convince his hearers that it was suicidal to disregard the locally made article in favor of the imported.
Money was being sent abroad to keep in employment foreigners in whom they could not pretend to have any interest. If they did not wake to a sense of their responsibility there would be a harvest of bitter regret. The importation of goods implied borrowing to make up the adverse trade balance.
An appalling interest bill had to be faced. When it was remembered that it. required 1200 workers to produce £1,000.000 worth of commodities, and £104,000,000 went away in a year for imported goods, it could be seen what a difference would be made by retaining that sum for Australian-made goods.
Its effect was not confined solely to the particular class of manufacture, but along several other channels. One example of America might well be followed.
The people were inspired by the necessity of buying only American-made goods, because it was a form of patriotism that ensured a good living for all persons engaged in an industry and spread prosperity over the land. There any man who insisted in importing goods that could be made at, home would be regarded as a fit subject for a lunatic asylum.

source: The Age


1915 Sands & McDougall directory

source Sands & McDougall 1915


1911 George Muir.

OBITUARY.
MR. George Muir, of the firm of Messrs. J. & T. Muir, iron founders, Leveson-st.,
expired suddenly last Tuesday forenoon. He was at the firm’s engineering shop
in Capel-st., when he complained to the foreman of not feeling well, and suddenly fell back dead.
The body was removed to the deceased’s residence, at Dover-st., Flemington.
Deceased was 53 years of age, and was married, but had no family. He was session clerk of the Flemington Presbyteriain Church, and took a great interest in religious and philanthropic work. Deceased had been under the care of Dr. J. B. Hay, of Moonee Ponds, for gastritis for some weeks before his death, and remarked to a fellow church member, Mr. A. Davie, on Sunday, that he was feeling much better. The remains were interred in the Melbourne General Cemetery, on
Wednesday.

source: North Melbourne Courier


.



Other Information

Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.

If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email info@hothamhistory.org.au