90 Miller Street

90 Miller Street
West Melbourne VIC 3003
photographer: Sue Scarfe

Also known as
Previous Address
Constructed 1885
Style
Architect Mr. Evander McIver
Builder brothers James, John & Albert Thurgood

Timelapse Building Images

1983

96 to 88 Miller Street West Melbourne

photographer, Graeme Butler

1970’s

92 & 90 Miller Street West Melbourne

http://www.picturevictoria.vic.gov.au/site/melbourne/NorthMelbourne/17921.html


Land Details

Building Details

No Entries Found

Subsequent Building Alterations

No Entries Found

Architectural Features



    No Entries Found


Heritage Significance and Listings

Heritage Listings and Explanatory Notes

Owners

From To Owner More Info Data Source
to date Private source: Hatcher Index
Mr. W. Riddle, first Crown land purchaser source: Hatcher Index
abt 40 thousand years earlier 1835 Boon Wurrung and Woiwurrung (Wurundjeri) peoples of the Kulin Nation https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Victoria source: Hatcher Index

Residents

From To Resident More Info Data Source
to date Private source Hatcher Index
1970 1974 C. Santucci source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1965 1965 G. Jianpicolo source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1960 1960 W. D. Hamilton source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1940 1955 Claude J. Adams source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1935 1935 Joseph Cook source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1930 1930 John L. Antonsen source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1920 1925 Simeon Nathan source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1915 1915 John Dare source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1910 1910 George Clarke http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article10477585 source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1905 1905 George Locke source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1900 1900 Samuel Thomson source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1895 1895 Rev. Edward Isaac source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1888 1890 Samuel Denny source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1887 1887 Thomas Toolin source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.
1886 1886 J. Wilson source: Rate books and Sands & McDougall directory, transcribed by Stephen Hatcher.

Social History



Context and Streetscape

Precinct

This property sits within the municipality of the City of Melbourne. We respectfully acknowledge it is on the traditional land of the Kulin Nation.
source: https://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/history-city-of-melbourne.pdf
historical map source: https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/search-discover/explore-collections-format/maps/maps-melbourne-city-suburbs

Zoning
This information must be verified with the relevant planning or heritage authority.

Streetscape

The first building to face Miller Street, West Melbourne in 1851 was the Benevolent Asylum running from Curzon to Abbotsford Streets on its northern side. The southern side of the street contained predominantly single and double storey Victorian era residential dwellings, a milk bar/confectioner shop near the corner of Abbotsford as well as some green grocers and a bakery on the northern side between Abbotsford and Stawell Streets.

Further west was once the famous Brockoff biscuit factory which later merged with Arnott’s in 1963, the factory has been converted into flats.

After the demolition of the Asylum, all that piece of the Crown land grant was subdivided up into smaller house blocks and sold off for development which helps to explain why the street has Victoria architecture on one side and Edwardian architecture on the other.

Its historic dwellings have not all been immune from destruction, loosing eight Victorian dwellings and shops as well as the stone Methodist Church building on the southern corner of Miller and Spence Street. They have been replaced by commercial buildings from around 1950’s.

Thankfully the Methodist minister’s manse which can be seen facing onto Spencer at number 660 has survived the wrecking ball. Built by brothers James, John and Alfred Thurgood who also built sheds A-E at the Queen Victoria Market as well as a long list of other desirable buildings around Melbourne.

Miller streetscape today is characterised by a generous number of surviving heritage dwellings, with an addition of some commercial buildings at the western end.

There is a huge push by the local and State Government to increase the density of residents living in West Melbourne. Existing residents already in the area would do well to keep their eyes open for any new multi-storey development proposals slated for this street that may undermine the historic nature and charm of this very early historic residential area.

In some cases, unrestricted increases in density and taller building heights than heights of the existing streetscape can be detrimental to current residents’ enjoyment of amenity and quality of life.

Other Information

[93]

Copyright status: This work is in copyright.
Conditions of use: Use of this work allowed provided the creators name and Hotham History Project Inc are acknowledged.

If you or someone you know has any more to add either by old photos or stories of this area, please contact us today. Email info@hothamhistory.org.au