Mr. George Black, a native of Northumberland England who was born 1826, met and married Alice Dagleish in Melbourne in 1854.
George, who was seeking a new life in the exciting new colony of Port Phillip, arrived in Melbourne sometime on or before 1853.
Alice, a native of Berwick upon Tweed England, gave birth to 4 children in Melbourne, she was 33 years of age when she had her last child in 1862.
The Black family lived on Powlett Street East Melbourne, between Hotham & Gipps Streets in 1860, according to Sands & McDougal directory of 1860 and on records lodged at Melbourne council for a house George built at 51 Abbotsford Street West Melbourne.
George Black, a Mason by trade became a successful builder during his life in Melbourne, but sadly his life was cut short at the age of 37 years in 1863.
Significant building works carried out by George Black are listed below.
The table below can be scrolled left to right if viewed on a mobile device.
|Building ID||Location||Owner||Suburb||Building State||Building Type||Builder||Build Date (YYYY MM DD)||Melbourne Council Notice of Intention to Build number|
|84278||Greeves St||Black, George – Collingwood||Fitzroy||VIC||Factories||Black, George||1853 04 26||656|
|76042||r.o.w. off Flinders Lane west- rear of Nicholson’s stores||Nicholson, William MLC||Melbourne||VIC||Houses; Stables||Black, George – Melbourne||1856 02 29||160|
|73578||Bourke St east – rear of Mr Lee’s||Lee, Benjamin – Bourke St east||Melbourne||VIC||Warehouses||Black, George – Brunswick St||1857 01 22||56|
|73622||Bourke St west – next Kirk’s Bazaar||Glass, Hugh||Melbourne||VIC||Hotels; Shops||Black, George – Brunswick St. Coll.||1858 07 29||619|
|81338||Powlett St (between Gipps & Hotham)||Black, George||East Melbourne||VIC||Houses||Black, George||1859 02 2||96|
|81033||Gipps St near gipps – near the Bishop’s fence (sth side between Clarendon & Powlett)||Hodgson, Charles – 23 Collins St east||East Melbourne||VIC||Houses||Black, George – Melbourne East||1860 01 30||65|
|72559||cnr Abbotsford & Ireland Sts||Rogerson. – North Melbourne||West Melbourne||VIC||Houses||Black, George||1860 05 7||278|
|85632||Brunswick & Fitzroy Sts||Black, George – Brunswick St||Fitzroy||VIC||Factories||Black, George||1861 05 21||264|
|77661||Swanston St – St Pauls (C of E)||St Pauls Trustees – Lord Bishop of Melbourne||Melbourne||VIC||Religious Buildings||Black, George||1861 09 19||441|
|75088||Elizabeth St – opp. London & Liverpool Insurance Offices||Rose, J H||Melbourne||VIC||Warehouses||Black, George||1862 02 12||64|
|75089||Elizabeth St – opp. Old Post Office||Rose, J H||Melbourne||VIC||Shops||Black, George||1862 03 15||103|
|73670||Bourke St east – opp. Eastern Market – at rear Stanway’s||Stanway||Melbourne||VIC||Warehouses||Black, George||1862 06 12||237|
Table source: https://www.mileslewis.net/australian-architectural/
Main source: Public Records Office of Victoria, BDM Victoria and the Melbourne edition of the Sands & McDougall directoy.