Council Wards abolished
North Melbourne Football Club founded 1869
North Melbourne Outstation was opened as part of the distribution network from the West Melbourne gas plant.
Crown Grant approx 1909 Olympic swimmer’s family ran the pool.
1876 Hotham Town Hall Opens It replaced an earlier building from 1863 for a much grander building. The adjacent municipal buildings were subsequently added in the early 1880s. It was very much part of the local community, with schools holding their concerts there, elections were held there, the library operated..Read More….
Railway through West Melbourne, across the edge of the blue lake was built approximately 1850’s. North Melbourne train station opened 1859 (this is the station in West Melbourne). Originally the Geelong-Melbourne railway. A section of the West Melbourne blue lake / swamp was reclaimed in 1854 for the railway, and..Read More….
The suburbs now known as North Melbourne became part of the Melbourne City Council zone in 1905.
On 26 August 1887 the Borough was renamed North Melbourne Town, after the completion of the imposing North Melbourne Town Hall and the Metropolitan Meat Market.
- Page 1 of 2