North Melbourne railway station is located in West Melbourne, Australia. The station is a major interchange point with the Craigieburn, Flemington Racecourse, Sunbury, Upfield, Werribee and Williamstown lines all servicing the station. It opened on 6 October 1859, and is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register. https://vhd.heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/places/889 At the same..Read More….
1970s report Citizens Action Report – a community consultation for the future plans for North Melbourne
20th March 1878 the Queen Victoria Market opened. Land was originally granted in the 1850s on land that was used for cattle and sheep prior to that time. in 1859 the state government granted the people of Melbourne 2.4 acrees of land to be used as a wholesale vegetable market…Read More….
The Old Melbourne Cemetery allocated 1837 close to Flagstaff Hill and bounded by Queen, Franklin and Peel Streets and the now, non existent Fulton Street. It closed 1917 and disinterments continued until 1922. There are still around 9000 people who remain in the site which are now covered by carpark..Read More….