North Melbourne railway station is located in West Melbourne, Australia. The station is a major interchange point with the Craigieburn, Flemington Racecourse, Sunbury, Upfield, Werribee and Williamstown lines all servicing the station. It opened on 6 October 1859, and is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register. https://vhd.heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/places/889 At the same..Read More….
The Spencer Street Power Station opened in 1892, and supplied power to the city’s residents as well as being a wholesale supplier to other municipal distributors. Owned by the City of Melbourne.
Railway through West Melbourne, across the edge of the blue lake was built approximately 1850’s. North Melbourne train station opened 1859 (this is the station in West Melbourne). Originally the Geelong-Melbourne railway. A section of the West Melbourne blue lake / swamp was reclaimed in 1854 for the railway, and..Read More….
Designed and constructed to service 2000 children. At the time, children didn’t attend school every day, the Education Act was introduced about the same time to make it compulsory for children aged 6 to 15 to attend school.
Doctor Maloney was born 12th April 1854 in Roden Street West Melbourne. He travelled through Spain with Tom Roberts. Member of the Legislative Assembly in Victoria from approximately 1889 to 1903 and he tried to introduce womens’ suffrage into the Victorian parliament but failed. He was the only politician who..Read More….
Willy, infant son of James Goodman was the first burial in the Port Phillip district on 13th May 1836 in Burial Hill, later known as Flagstaff Hill. There were about 6 burials at this site before the City authorities declared the site too small. in 1871, the Pioneers memorial was..Read More….
20th March 1878 the Queen Victoria Market opened. Land was originally granted in the 1850s on land that was used for cattle and sheep prior to that time. in 1859 the state government granted the people of Melbourne 2.4 acrees of land to be used as a wholesale vegetable market…Read More….
The Old Melbourne Cemetery allocated 1837 close to Flagstaff Hill and bounded by Queen, Franklin and Peel Streets and the now, non existent Fulton Street. It closed 1917 and disinterments continued until 1922. There are still around 9000 people who remain in the site which are now covered by carpark..Read More….
Governor Hotham opened the West Melbourne gasworks on 17 December 1855 on a wet cold day and caught a chill which led to his demise 2 weeks later on 31st December. The gasworks manufactured gas from black coal and supplied gas and coke to the local area. The works operated..Read More….
John Buncle set the bells in the original St James Cathedral. Originally a timber structure, the church was rebuilt in stone after raising enough funds. Robert Russell was the architect. Foundation stone laid 9th November 1839 by Charles laTrobe. Open for worship 1842. Completed / Dedication date 1847 Originally built..Read More….
- Page 1 of 2