Mr. David Lauder was a native of Perthshire Scotland, his wife Jane Hosie hailed from Forfarshire Scotland. They were married in 1857 at Dundee Scotland and chose Melbourne as their new home to settle.
Other brothers William and James (spelt Landers in some records) were first to arrive in Melbourne in 1852, on the vessel ‘Australia’ while 26 year old brother David Lander arrived in 1858 on the vessel ‘Oceanica’. David’s 24 year old wife Jane arrived one year later in 1859 on the vessel ‘Greyhound’.
David and Jane Lauder lived in the house that William and David Lauder built at 58 Abbotsford Street West Melbourne. Later David and Jane moved into their new home around the corner at 689 Spencer Street West Melbourne.
David Lauder was an Engineer by trade and remained in West Melbourne while his brother William Lauder chose the country life and settled down in Winchelsea Victoria.
Significant building works carried out by the Lauder brothers are listed below.
The table below can be scrolled left to right if viewed on a mobile device.
|Building ID||Location||Owner||Suburb||Building State||Building Type||Builder||Build Date (YYYY MM DD)||Registration no|
|82529||Two room house, Abbotsford St – Lot 16 Section N||Lander, David – North Melbourne||North Melbourne||VIC||Houses||Lander, William||1860 10 17||584|
|72811||Two cottages, Spencer St – near Miller||Lander, David||West Melbourne||VIC||Houses||Lander, David – Abbotsford St, West Melb||1879 10 3||8132|
|72637||Five room cottage, Spencer St north||Lander, David||West Melbourne||VIC||Houses||Lander, David – 195 Spencer St||1885 10 8||1780|
Table source: https://www.mileslewis.net/australian-architectural/
Main source: Trove, Public Records Office of Victoria, BDM Victoria and the Melbourne edition of the Sands & McDougall directoy.