North Melbourne's History North Melbourne Suburb Timeline1905Suburb becomes part of the Melbourne City CouncilThe suburbs now known as North Melbourne and West Melbourne became part of the Melbourne City Council zone in 1905. 1887Renamed North Melbourne TownOn 26 August 1887 the Borough was renamed North Melbourne Town, after the completion of the imposing North Melbourne Town Hall and the Metropolitan Meat Market. 1861Hotham’s population 7000+By 1861, Hotham had a population of over 7,000. 1859Suburb named Hotham1859, what is now known as North Melbourne was named Hotham borough, after the governor of Victoria Charles Hotham. 1851The Benevolent Asylum is BuiltIn 1851 a Benevolent Asylum was built between Abbotsford and Curzon Streets, straddling what is now known as Victoria Street.