North Melbourne's History

North Melbourne Suburb Timeline

1859

Suburb named Hotham

1859, what is now known as North Melbourne was named Hotham borough, after the governor of Victoria Charles Hotham.

1854

Railway

Railway through West Melbourne, across the edge of the blue lake was built  approximately 1850’s. North Melbourne train station opened 1859 (this is the station in West Melbourne).  Originally the Geelong-Melbourne railway. A section of the West Melbourne blue lake /  swamp was reclaimed in 1854 for the railway, and..Read More....

1851

The Benevolent Asylum is Built

The Benevolent Asylum is Built

In 1851 a Benevolent Asylum was built between Abbotsford and Curzon Streets, straddling what is now known as Victoria Street.