Governor Hotham opened the West Melbourne gasworks on 17 December 1855 on a wet cold day and caught a chill which led to his demise 2 weeks later on 31st December.
The gasworks manufactured gas from black coal and supplied gas and coke to the local area. The works operated until 1962.
Was run by the City of Melbourne Gas and Coke Company.
Narrow gauge tracks were used for the locomotives which hauled the coal, and some of these locomotives have been restored and are now used on the Puffing Billy railroad.