Named after Sir William Jeffcott (1800 – 1855) he was an Irish barrister, a judge of the Supreme Court of New South Wales for the District of Port Phillip from 1843 to 1845.(1)
Source. (1) Jeffcott, Sir William (1800–1855)”. Australian Dictionary of Biography. Canberra: Australian National University.
A considerable number of new allotments have been surveyed and marked out for sale, between the Flag Staff and the Swamp, abutting upon La Trobe and Spencer-streets, and a new street called after Judge Jeffcott. They will not, however, be put up to sale except upon special application, and under any circumstances we should recommend their being withheld, till the removal of the boiling-down establishments has rendered the neighbourhood a little less obtrusive upon the ollactories.
We have before noticed the abandonment of the lane system, which has been productive of so much mischief. The streets are all marked out of equal width, but we doubt whether a narrowing of the blocks would not prove a still further advantage, in decreasing the tendency to the creation of rookeries, narrow rights of way, and other nuisances.
In future, town allotments are only to consist of a quarter acre each, the frontage remaining the same, but going only half-way through to the next street. This, too, appears a judicious step, and we fancy that the Government will find their account in it, in the shape of an increased proportionate price for the allotments.
The Argus, 11th May 1849.
Click image to view.
Previous Address 33 Jeffcott Street
Style Victorian, Early : 1840-1860
Architect John Walker. Offices of Vaughan and Wild, Bear’s Exchange, 66 Queen Street Melbourne.
Builder William Sturgess, later known as Downie & Sturgess