William Street

West Melbourne section of William Street was gazetted in 1860.

Marshall, Samuel John (1873-1944)

Samuel John Marshall (1873-1944) was an English born industrial chemist and business man who manufactured and wholesaled Rayes cough and colds Balsam from his premises at 1-11 Hawke street in West Melbourne. (1) Arriving in Melbourne sometime prior to 1892, Samuel met and married Eliza Ann Quick (2) and they had two daughters, their first child named Lilian, was born in 1893 but she tragically died just 5 months later in 1894.(3) Their second child named Amelia was born in 1895, (4). Eliza Ann Quick sadly passed away at the very young age of 24 years in Brunswick, in 1897 leaving her husband Samuel Marshall to raise their 2 year old daughter Agnes, on his own. Single parent was hard and Samuel eventually met and married Agnes Harrow Amiet, six years later in 1903. (5) They lived at Flemington Road in North Melbourne for a short time then later moved to 272 Victoria Street, opposite the Queen Victoria Market in West Melbourne. Within the space of about 17 years in Melbourne, Samuel had successfully saved up just enough funds to purchase the vacant land on the corner of Hawke and King street, known as 1-11 Hawke Street in 1920. It …

Adderley, Charles Bower (1814-1905)

Charles Bowyer Adderley was the eldest son of Charles Clement Adderley (d. 1818), offspring of an old Staffordshire family, and his wife, daughter of Sir Edmund Cradock-Hartopp, 1st Baronet. Adderley inherited Hams Hall, Warwickshire, and the valuable estates of his great-uncle, Charles Bowyer Adderley, in 1826. He was educated at Christ Church, Oxford, where he graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in 1838.(1) Adderley Street West Melbourne was named in his honor. Source. Wikipedia, Charles Adderley, 1st Baron Norton.

Adderley Street

Named after Charles Bowyer Adderley, 1st Baron Norton KCMG PC DL JP (2 August 1814 – 28 March 1905) who was a British Conservative politician. Source. Melbourne Council Street Card Number #S371, street gazetted in 1860.

Spencer Street

Spencer Street was named after Lord Spencer, former leader of the Whig party in the House of Commons. Road section running from Flinders Street northwards was gazetted 29 March 1837 by Sir George Gipps, Govener of NSW and the street is thought to have been named after John Charles Spencer, 3rd Earl Spencer, a British statesman. He was notably Chancellor of the Exchequer under Lord Grey and Lord Melbourne from 1830 to 1834. Due to his reputation for integrity he was nicknamed “Honest Jack”. Garryowen’s Chronicles of early Melbourne (1888) quotes from a supposed journal of surveyor Robert Hoddle, suggesting that Bourke instructed Hoddle as to the names of the streets. Such a journal has never been subsequently located, and the precise origin of some names remains a matter of speculation. Spencer, King and William Streets were all later extended in a northerly direction to LaTrobe Street in 1838. In 1860 Sir William Denison, Governor of New South Wales approved the gazettal of a further extension to Spencer, King and William Streets starting from LaTrobe street heading north into the suburb of West Melbourne. Source.(1) John Charles Spencer, Viscount Althorp, 3rd Earl Spencer (1782-1845) by Henry Pierce Bone.(2) NSW Government Gazette,(3) Victorian …