Queensberry Street

The suffix “berry,” (Old Eng. “beorg”) is obsolete for “hill”. It suggests a fortified hill.

In the Douglas country of the Scottish Lowlands there is Queensberry hill of (2285 ft.) and near it another called “Little Queensberry,” They were probably fortified hills in the border wars with England.

Sir William Douglas was the first Duke of Queensberry (1633). He spent 10 years and a small fortune in building a palace close to the above hills.

It is said to be “one of the grandest homes in of Scotland”. He occupied it for only one night… His son was made a Marquis (1682) and as Lord High Treasurer of Scotland wielded great power.

His son, the second Duke of Queensberry, was one of the architects of the Treaty of Union with England (1707).

The third Duke, also fourth Marquis and sixth Earl, was the Keeper of the Great Seal of Scotland and Lord Justice General. His Lady — Catherine — was renowned for her patronage of poets, her eccentric behavior and her revolutionary detestation of eating from the point of a knife.

The fourth Duke was notable in the racing world. To pay his gambling debts he sold most of the famous Yew trees of his estate.

Angrily Wordsworth rebuked this wanton tree-felling in a sonnet beginning — “Degenerate Douglas”.

The eighth Marquis of Queensberry was a patron the boxing ring. Under his auspices the “Queensberry Rules” were adopted.

These amended the prevailing London Rules in four main respects.

• Padded gloves compulsory.
• Each round to last three minutes with a minute’s rest between.
• Wrestling illegal.
• Any fighter who went down was to get up unaided within 10 seconds, if he could not he was declared knocked out of the fight.

A very important fixture in early Melbourne took place on July 9, 1888, when Paddy Slavin and Jack Burke (known as the “Irish Lad” but in reality an English Jew) fought a draw. The Marquis of Queensberry was the referee.

The early Scottish settlers gave this prominent Scottish name to a street in Melbourne, and it its continuation into North Melbourne.(1)

Source. (1) Northern Advertiser, date unknown circa 1972. Blanchard collection “What’s in a Name” at North Melbourne Library.

351 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Also known as Address Crimean Restaurant
Previous Address Sir Robert Peel Hotel



385 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Also known as Address St Joseph’s College
Style Victorian, Late: 1875-1901



399 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Also known as Address The Lightning Hotel 1855-1857, renamed The Royal Park [26] 1857



411 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Previous Address 73 Queensberry Street before council street renumbering



428 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Also known as Address St Mary’s Anglican Church. Corner of Queensberry and Howard Streets



445 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Also known as Address Previously Grigson and Orr Corner Store
Style Victorian, Late: 1875-1901



456 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Style Victorian, Late: 1875-1901



477 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051



479 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051



483 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051



492 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051



502 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Also known as Address Mr Price’s Food Store



511 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Also known as Address The Lalla Rookh Hotel



512 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Also known as Address Thomas Adams Boot & Shoe Makers Shop
Previous Address 148 Queensberry Street before council street renumbering



536 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Also known as Address National Australia Bank. Corner of Errol and Queensberry Streets



569 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Also known as Address The King’s Arms Hotel [13] 1855-1939, later the Avalon boarding house



596 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051



603 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Also known as Address State School Number 307



608 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Previous Address 208 before Council street renumbering after 1965



610 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051



612 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051



638 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Also known as Address The Butcher ‘s Arms 1869-1876, renamed Thorn’s Hotel 1876-1881, renamed The Young Australian Hotel [12] 1881-1911, renamed North Melbourne Club Hotel 1911-1912



652 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Also known as Address Hannaford’s, a ham and beef shop.



683 Queensberry Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Also known as Address Rose of Hotham Hotel [1]) 1861-1883, renamed Old Johnnie Falconer 1883-1889, named again The Rose of Hotham 1889-1926