Some might not realise the northern side of La Trobe Street is officially part of the suburb of West Melbourne. One can see the left hand side of the above photo shows the CBD while the right hand side shows Flagstaff Gardens. The corner of La Trobe and William Streets right where Flagstaff Gardens lies is the southeastern boundary where the suburb of West Melbourne and the CBD meet.
The street was laid out as an extension of the original Hoddle Grid in 1839 and was named after Charles Joseph La Trobe. La Trobe Street extends from Victoria Street in the east to Harbour Esplanade in the west. The northern side of La Trobe Street is within West Melbourne and begins at William Street and ends at Adderley Street.
Two portions of land known as Section 33 and 34 on the northern side of La Trobe Street were put up for sale at a Crown Land Auction in May 1850 at an upset price of £300 per acre. Among the land buyers were John Pascoe Fawkner in section 33 and John O’Shannassy in section 34.