West Melbourne's History

West Melbourne Suburb Timeline

1854

Dr William Maloney

Doctor Maloney was born 12th April 1854 in Roden Street West Melbourne. He travelled through Spain with Tom Roberts. Member of the Legislative Assembly in Victoria from approximately 1889 to 1903 and he tried to introduce womens’ suffrage into the Victorian parliament but failed. He was the only politician who..Read More....

Railway

Railway through West Melbourne, across the edge of the blue lake was built  approximately 1850’s. North Melbourne train station opened 1859 (this is the station in West Melbourne).  Originally the Geelong-Melbourne railway. A section of the West Melbourne blue lake /  swamp was reclaimed in 1854 for the railway, and..Read More....

First Church Built in West Melbourne

Being on the edge of a booming Melbourne, West Melbourne was quickly inhabited. Presbyterian and Catholic church services began in the early 1850s, and in 1854 the first church was built on the Catholic reserve in Victoria Street

1853

First School opened in West Melbourne

A school was opened in King Street in 1853. It was replaced by a State school in 1875 at the corner of King and Roden Streets. The building is on the Victorian Heritage Register, although the school closed in 1992.

1851

The Benevolent Asylum is Built

The Benevolent Asylum is Built

In 1851 a Benevolent Asylum was built between Abbotsford and Curzon Streets, straddling what is now known as Victoria Street.

1842

First Construction in West Melbourne

In 1842 the first institution of significance constructed in the West Melbourne area was a cattle yard at the corner of Elizabeth and Victoria Streets (now the Queen Victoria Market).

1839

St James old Cathedral built

John Buncle set the bells in the original St James Cathedral. Originally a timber structure, the church was rebuilt in stone after raising enough funds. Robert Russell was the architect. Foundation stone laid 9th November 1839 by Charles laTrobe. Open for worship 1842. Completed / Dedication date 1847 Originally built..Read More....

1836

Burial Hill / Flagstaff Gardens

Willy, infant son of James Goodman was the first burial in the Port Phillip district on 13th May 1836 in Burial Hill, later known as Flagstaff Hill. There were about 6 burials at this site before the City authorities declared the site too small.  in 1871, the Pioneers memorial was..Read More....