Chetwynd Street

Named after Granville William Chetwynd Stapylton.

Stapylton came to Australia in 1828 as assistant surveyor in New South Wales. While engaged in surveying the coast south of Brisbane, aborigines attacked his camp, and he was killed on the 31st May 1840. His body was brought to Brisbane.

Stapylton has left behind him the name of his Paternal grandfather in our Chetwrnd Street, North Melbourne.(1)

Source. (1) Northern Advertiser, 18/3/1971. Blanchard collection, “What’s in a Name” at North Melbourne Library.

50 Chetwynd Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Also known as Address The Ayrshire Hotel [22] 1853-1869, renamed The Clare Castle 1870-1872, re­named The Ayrshire 1873-1876, renamed Rock of Cashel 1876-1884, renamed Queens Arms Hotel 1884-1904



59 Chetwynd Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Style Victorian, Mid: 1860-1875



61 Chetwynd Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Style Victorian, Mid: 1860-1875



63 Chetwynd Street
North Melbourne VIC 3051
Style Victorian, Mid: 1860-1875